Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bloody Cops

Status
Not open for further replies.

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
just want to vent a bit after my run in with stupid as cop and see if anyone else as had something like this happen to them

cop pulls me over see them walk out of the car try and try put there hand in-between the guard and the tire but dose not fit cause its lowered on super lows but then she said it was getting defected so no problems with that i can get that off easy but then a fine for driving an unroadworthy car when she handed me that i said to her wheres her proof but she just change the topic so i tried to talk to her so more and she was like there's nothing you can do or say about it then looked at the fine and she has spelled my street name wrong and cannot read her officer number how can they fine me without having any proof

M1LMO3

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
just want to vent a bit after my run in with stupid as cop and see if anyone else as had something like this happen to them

cop pulls me over see them walk out of the car try and try put there hand in-between the guard and the tire but dose not fit cause its lowered on super lows but then she said it was getting defected so no problems with that i can get that off easy but then a fine for driving an unroadworthy car when she handed me that i said to her wheres her proof but she just change the topic so i tried to talk to her so more and she was like there's nothing you can do or say about it then looked at the fine and she has spelled my street name wrong and cannot read her officer number how can they fine me without having any proof

I really don't get what your questioning here, the fact that your car got a delectable sticker implies the car is unroadworthy, so there's the evidence there.

All she was really doing was throwing the full extent of the book she could at you, with both the sticker and fine. But then again she could have got you for alot more if she picked apart every little thing about you car.

Just take it on the chin, its not worth trying to contest or question at the end of the day what's done is done.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I would have thought the car being defect means it's unroadworthy and you were driving it at the time.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Clearly you failed the attitude test. This is something you need to understand, arguing/debating/trying to get your point across to a Police Officer is just going to annoy them and ensure you end up paying the price.

As for proof, in a court of law they generally take the version of an Officer sworn to uphold the law over someone driving a car with obvious defects trying to wriggle out of the fine. Why dig yourself in deeper?

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
well it passed it last roadworthy 70days ago with no problems and i haven't changed a single thing on it

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
You lot are funny -

Cop it on the chin
(M1LMO3) They cant just fine you without a valid reason. There should have been peperwork with the canary that listed the 'alleged' defects, no paperwork, its not defected. If there was a fine issued, it should also have what it was given for written on it and the applicable road safety act rule #. I'd think that if you were issued a fine for no reason, you'd fight it, or at least find out exactly what its for, and if you didn't and just paid it, you're an idiot and I've got some miracle oil I'd like to sell you.

An obvious defect? (ClairBare) how is a lowered car an obvious defect, have you ever seen a police car, they are all lowered to what we call Ultra Low (SSSL) spec, are they all defective?

jees this place makes me laugh some times.

BookMe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Police cars do not follow the same rules as normal road users cars. They can be lower then 100mm but they go through apparent testing to allow them on the roads.

Anyways I got defected for my battery and air filter one time. Sent for a full blue slip inspection.
Went to legit blue slip place. He said I shouldn't have been defected. He rang rta and they confirmed. Then I went to the rta and even showed them and they said there shouldn't have been a problem.

Sometimes police get things wrong. Maybe you shouldn't have got the fine. Maybe you should've.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
The most obvious question is - was your car too low at the time ?
If it was, then there is nothing to discuss. Fix it, get it cleared and pay the fine.

I don't know about other states, but in Qld police vehicles do have to comply with the same vehicle safety legislation as any other, apart from some 'emergency vehicle' exceptions regarding police lights, dash mounted & side mount radars etc. Police vehicles are fitted with GMH factory fitted springs - usually FE2. So they do comply.

As for a vehicle being too low and being defected for it, yes they do need a reason to defect your vehicle, they do need to establish somehow that the vehicle is lower than 100mm and/or it has less than 1/3 the factory bump stop travel. Fingers between guard and tyre doesn't mean anything. Usually coppers will just slide their official notebook between the road and the lowest point of the car (their notebook is 100mm wide) or if they may have a 100mm measuring wheel on a pole that they roll under the vehicle. However if it's obvious the vehicle is too low, then maybe they didn't measure it.

Never assume because you've recently had a roadworthy, your car is free of defects. Agreed it 'should' be, but there are lots of roadworthy certificates written for cars that should never been passed.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
You lot are funny -

Cop it on the chin
(M1LMO3) They cant just fine you without a valid reason. There should have been peperwork with the canary that listed the 'alleged' defects, no paperwork, its not defected. If there was a fine issued, it should also have what it was given for written on it and the applicable road safety act rule #. I'd think that if you were issued a fine for no reason, you'd fight it, or at least find out exactly what its for, and if you didn't and just paid it, you're an idiot and I've got some miracle oil I'd like to sell you.

valid reason for the fine i would say is the fact that the car is unroadworthy, which is also the reason for the defect. he doesnt say that he didnt receive paperwork, only that she spelt a street name wrong, and has poor handwriting.

An obvious defect? (ClairBare) how is a lowered car an obvious defect, have you ever seen a police car, they are all lowered to what we call Ultra Low (SSSL) spec, are they all defective?

jees this place makes me laugh some times.

a lowered car is the easiest way to spot a defectable car, there are limits to how low you can lower a vehicle, sometimes its pretty easy to tell if the cars beyond that.

the annoying thing with a defect, is that the police officer needs NO qualifications on what is roadworthy and whats not, the onus is on the owner to prove at a later date that the car is roadworthy, and if its not, make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.