Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bloody Kids (teenagers)

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
i use AVG its free and is awesome...updates itself all the time...i'm pretty sure its free as it is monitored by the AVG people that use the free versions feedback to improve their sold version...

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
big_stretch said:
i use AVG its free and is awesome...updates itself all the time...i'm pretty sure its free as it is monitored by the AVG people that use the free versions feedback to improve their sold version...

I use AVG too, swear by it. I have tried others, but always come back to AVG. I have actually put AVG on people's computers who have a virus that nortons won't detect or clean, and had success.

C.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
brownie82 said:
:cry: Ok well here it goes i need some computing help. When i came home from work today i found my girlfriends brother on the puter, guess what he was looking at??(thats right... PRON) anyway i told him to close it and leave it alone (the pron that is, not other things, but thats another story). So he did, but he said when he went to close it it came up with a msg saying "would you like to make such 'n' such (webpage, wont repeat it) as your home page he clicked no, but then it kept coming up asking and everytime he said no it kept coming up.:cry: Anyway i got on to have a look by this time i was getting crabby. So i started clicking franticly, and accedently clicked yes (GRRRRR). So now when i open up internet explorer it comes up with some crap bout internet security, and i cant change the homepage back again.:cry:

Now everytime i close I/Explorer it comes up with one of those microsoft message things!!:cry:

God i hope there aint a Virus on here now. If there is how do i go about fixing it!!

Anybody, anybody who can help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx guys

ANYBODY!!!

i had the exact same prob as u brownie(it was the missus that did it) and eventually fixed it by doing wat every 1 else has said but the only prob now is i cant play any games anymore it just wont run them so i think im gonna have to wipe the computer and start again. (no more call of duty:cry: )

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
bumer i had to do a wipe a while ago...think it was something through bearshares damned pop-ups and other what not that is now avoided...computer still isnt the same but i can get to justcommodores and msn and media player work fine so i'm happy.

oh and yeah as we all stated before AVG is the gun...usually picks things up before they get a chance to annoy...i havent had to run it for ages as theres no point, nothing gets in.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
or Opera..... 20X bEtter than all of them......

yay!

aZk.

brownie82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute SIDI M6 Karma Blue
OK.. I'd like to start by say thank-you to everyone. Did a system restore and it has seemded to work Pheww. So thank-you all very very much. Hopefully it is all sorted out:w00t: but umm i think i might have to get an internet nanny or something, nah he wont he be staying with us for much longer. No im kicking him out hes just going back home. So yeah, ummm as im a noob to the computer age:bang: how do i go about get that firefox?? just incase i feel like a change.

Once again thank-you all so very much.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Problem is your ie browser was set with too low a security level and you've now been infected with some nasty malware that installed itself through an active-x component. Active-X components were initially designed so that a client machine (ie. one hooked to the internet) can work effectively with a server machine (ie. one serving out web pages )...to take some of the load off the server in processing certain tasks...basically they are little programs which run in the browser...the problem with it is that they can be used for evil purposes...such as calling for files (viruses/malware) from an evil server...and if the client user is running with administrative status on the machine (default owner user in XP)...then they can be installed and take over the system...as you are now experiencing with popups etc...

I presume you've got XP...the safest thing to do is to stop running on an administators account when using the internet and use firefox as your browser... I'd save all your files reformat the system and start again... Password protect all accounts on the system...which will require you to reboot the system and tap F5 repeatedly untill the safe mode boot screen comes up where you can access the hidden administrators account and password protect that aswell through USER ACCOUNTS in the control panel.
Then open up ie...chances are it will pop up some first start bullshit requireing you to configure some crap msn thing ( I can't really remeber what it is but it stops ie from starting up) just close it down and create a web page on you desktop with notepad...type
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

safe it as "test.html" with the quotes added

double click the file you created and ie should open up without all the config **** if I remember rightly...

Click TOOLS & then INTERNET OPTIONS on the IE menu bar
Select the SECURITY tab
Click the CUSTOM LEVEL button
On the dropdown box next to the label Reset to: click the down arrow and select HIGH now click the RESET button... click OK on the nag message asking if you want to do reset. then click OK on all windows and sub windows to get out of the settings...now you ie has the most security it can run with... but it will loose some functionality.
Basicaly we've just secured it under the administrator account so that alll users will get these setting when they log in...so that they can't screw your machine up again while looking at pron.

Thus endith the lesson. in active-x, html, and ie :)