Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blowing fuses?

Jmitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim
Hey guys really need help, changed my headlight bulbs yesterday plugged them back in fine but I did need to push the battery aside to get the the drivers side headlight. The lights worked fine but then I realized my brake light and indicators were gone I had a look in the cabin fuse box they were gone so I replaced them and they blew again I had an racv have a quick look at all the wiring around the headlights and he said it's all connected fine. So is it a matter of to much current running through or what? Also when I turned the car on the first two times after replacing the bulbs it did quite a loud shudder need help as I'm not very good with cars. Thanks

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hey guys really need help, changed my headlight bulbs yesterday plugged them back in fine but I did need to push the battery aside to get the the drivers side headlight. The lights worked fine but then I realized my brake light and indicators were gone I had a look in the cabin fuse box they were gone so I replaced them and they blew again I had an racv have a quick look at all the wiring around the headlights and he said it's all connected fine. So is it a matter of to much current running through or what? Also when I turned the car on the first two times after replacing the bulbs it did quite a loud shudder need help as I'm not very good with cars. Thanks

Few things, did you put the battery back properly? There's no chance is touching the metal of the car?

Did you put the correct bulbs in place? Have you touched any other electrics in the car? I once rigged up the stereo, and didn't insulate a wire properly and it made my interior lights short.

Also when you were changing the bulbs, did you disconnect the negative battery terminal?

Mike.

Jmitch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim
Not sure about the battery I'll check it when I get home but it looks like it's all sitting normally, and yeah I put the bulbs in correctly but no I didn't disconnect the negative terminal should I have?

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Well Vt/Vx electrics are VERY twitchy, I make sure whenever I mess with anything I disconnect the negative terminal, mostly because I blew bulbs and fuses if I didn't.

Well assuming the battery checks out, my best bet would be a wire shorting out somewhere somehow, wrong bulbs, or there was a power spike cause that battery was still connected.

I would suggest taking off the negative terminal, change the troublesome fuses, and then connect battery back up. See if they blow, if so, I would say there is a fault.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Yes, you should always disconnect the battery when doing anything with electrics in a car.

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
So just to clarify mate,

* Your headlights work.

* Your tail lights and indicators do not (the fuses for them are blown).

* The battery is not contacting the car at any point.

* When you changed the light bulbs over, you at no point touched any of the cars wiring.

If this is the case mate, I would suggest going to auto electrician, perhaps they can sort out the problem - as it seems it's not the usual suspects.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
what wattage globes did you put in?

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
if your tail-lights are blowing over and over, and its a series 1 - look at the rear section loom of the car... unfortunately this was a notorious problem with some of the series ones (the rear loom degrades and ark's out in weird n wonderful places).

every time ive dealt with this for friends, we just pilfered a rear loom from a vx or a series 2 VT