Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue 3.3L questions

no-doof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hey guys, got a few questions regarding by Blue 3.3 in my VC wagon.

I have got a new thermostat cover. The old one which is still on the car has a plastic tree (looks like the ones on the intake manifold). One hose goes from the distributor and then goes back to the carby (I'm assuming this is vac advance?) There was another line going from there to another plastic tree on the intake manifold and then from there to EFE vacuum motor (pretty sure thats what its called) It activates two levers on the exhaust manifold but doesn't actually work anymore.

The new thermostat cover doesn't have provisions for the plastic tree at all, and was wondering what is it's function...and can I get away with just running the line straight from the carby back to the dizzy?

As for the line from the vacuum motor thingo... I've disconnected this completely as it wasn't working anyway and I broke the tree on the manifold accidentally. I've just put a bolt in it for now and it seems to run ok. Can I get away with just leaving it or taking it off altogether?

Also, I'm looking at extractors and some of them come with ports that run back into the intake manifold for cold starting and some don't... any advice?

Cheers in advance

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the TVS works on temperature to open and close two vacuum lines. one is ported vacuum (carby)which is used once the engine is at running temps and the other is full manifold vacuum which is used when the engine is cold to increase the revs and assist cold starts.

you can d/c the manifold vac and run on ported vac. your car wont be RWC tho.

Mad84VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
i have extractors with the preheat line. as for the vac side of things... the vac lead that goes to the dizzy is advanced timing. it is connected to a 104 degree TVS that will open when the car gets to hot. it will run the car a bit faster to try and cool it down.
not sure about the blue motor but on the black that TVS is located on the block. just hook it up to that one if you have it. if not then see if you can put one in :)
The Exhaust heat valve actuator is the thing that is connected to the 43 degree TVS and then to the exhaust manifolds. if you do decide to get extractors get rid of this... as it is useless.
This should clear up most of your questions with the vac system. if not ask and im sure someone will help
VK Berlina Project

if you get your extractors i would say yes the that little piece. its for the EGR system. it is basically useless and was only put on so that holden could sell the car. if you dont get those extractors the system will need to disconnected.

any other questions ask away :)

no-doof

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Ok thanks heaps guys.

Where is the TVS sensor on the block in the VK? I was thinking about just bypassing the sensor on the thermostat and running the line straight from the dizzy up to the carb.

The only other question I have is that the carby side of the head....there is what looks like an oil pressure switch with the top broken off it...there are two of them but the one closest to the front of the car is broken. It sticks out on a 45 degree angle and I've got idea what it's supposed to be for. There are no vacuum lines or wires anywhere near it that could have broken off the top of it, and it doesn't seem to be leaking anything...I was thinking of just putting a bolt in there to tidy it up. Any ideas?

Mad84VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
On the VK its located next to the rocker cover. look at my pic. i wouldn't bypass it.. you should only be running the advanced timing when car is to hot (that's why u use a thermal vacuum switch). other wise your car will be running at about 1200-1500 rpm rather than 800-900 rpm.
As for the oil pressure switch.... try and get a pic.
in my pic you can see the 43 and 104 degree TVS and the extractors with the pipe for the EGR system :)
Brandon

DSC00105.jpg