Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue 308, whats it worth?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Totally different to the v8. The black 202 bottom end was the same as the blue bottom end. And the only real differences between red and blue/black 202's in terms of the bottom end are that the red has a lighter, non (fully) counter crank and thinner rods, along with smaller rod bolts. Only differences worth mentioning between a 186 and 202 is a 1/4 inch shorter stroke for the 186, and the 186 stamped on the side of the block. So you're misinformed in saying that one is better than the other.

Back on topic though, I doubt it would be worth any more than 1200 tops.

thanks now I know , so why was the black cheaper than the red?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
could be any think

Black paint is cheaper than red...duhhhh. Them red paints make it go faster. Cant give the customer free killowasps.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
Red motor's are harder to find in virgin bore in good nick low kay's so they're worth more.
Red motor's also are available in chev pattern gearbox so they're fetching a premium price as t5's t700's bolt straight up on them.
Being "pre-pollution" motor's they're sought after in early holdens to avoid having to add on all the extra pollution gear such as if you put a black or blue motor into a torana or a hq holden etc.
Red motor's casting quality and thickness in the webbing of the block is thicker than blue motor so IMO they're better than a blue motor.
Red motor's have slightly higher compression ratios than blue motor's

Blue motor's are becoming more valuable for people looking to restore a early commodore using a "period correct" block but due to age of the motor's, finding a good virgin bore low kay's block isn't easy or cheap but still cheaper than a red motor (especially a red motor 11qt prefix turbo pattern block)
Blue motor's have a slightly lower compression ratio and also the camshaft timing from factory is 2 degrees retarded compared to red motors.
Black motors (vl 308/304) have pretty much the same bottom end as a blue motor, not much difference in the casting quality or webbing thickness compared to a blue 308 but.... the heads are slightly better in flow characteristics.
Compression in black motor's was increased a little again plus the heads in the last of the black motor's were setup for unleaded but due to the lack of performance in the VL's compared to the similar performance at the time from the rb30 6cyl engine, the black 308/304 got stuck with the stigma of being crap when the rb30 had similar HP but less torque compared to the v8.
Injected 5.0L blocks are back to the red motors in casting quality and thickness in the webbing (strength) and being much newer and all chev pattern they should be the cheapest of them all to find a low kay's virgin bore example.

Holden 202's and 186's are a completely different kettle of fish but the block strength trends did follow the same pattern as the v8's
if building a 202 i would use a red block with black or blue heads and starfire plus conrods and a blue motor counterbalanced crank.
Black blocks are quite fine, it's just they came out in the vk's with the est ecu for ignition timing and a crappy varajet carby.
Drop a blue motor's electronic dizzy in it and a decent carby and they run with plenty of poke.
IMO the 186 was the biggest holden should have gone with that block configuration as increasing displacement to 202 using the same original casting design put the holden 6 cyl much closer to it's design limitations than they should have.
Never have i heard or seen a 186 throw a rod out the block unlike 202's
Of all the holden 6's i've had, the only one that gave me grief by throwing a conrod out the side of the block was the blue motor.

Basing your opinions on availability prices is idiotic when you've never really built/rebuilt any or some or all of the above motor's and run them.

Knocking established members on here that have posted up proof of having built/rebuilt their engines before in the past and actually know wtf they're talking about is also just pure crap.

I wont get on here giving opinions of v6's, i've never owned one or driven one for longer than a week or two and the only v6 commodores i've ever owned were cars i bought cheap from auctions and resold them for profit.