Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue/black 202 harmonic balancer

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Hey, I probably know the answer to this but want to make sure as its been a while since ive worked on a 202 engine. Will a blue /black 202 harmonic balancer fit a red 202 crank. Pretty sure it will but want to make sure. Thanks

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the timing mark is in a different spot compare it and mark off the old one.if using a blue balancer on a red motor

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
the timing mark is in a different spot compare it and mark off the old one.if using a blue balancer on a red motor

On the balancer or timing case cover

Black crank in a blue block

1709191876684.jpeg

Red motor

1709191894611.jpeg

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
On the balancer or timing case cover
you said you'd done it what did you notice when you did it ?
It only matters when you want to use the timing light or change the distributor.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
you said you'd done it what did you notice when you did it ?
It only matters when you want to use the timing light or change the distributor.

The timing mark is still in the same spot, no matter what balancer you use on what motor....

So you've lost me with this comment

"the timing mark is in a different spot compare it and mark off the old one.if using a blue balancer on a red motor"

The main issue I strike with these balancers is the rubber ring inbetween the outer ring and inner allows the outer ring to move when they get old...The outer ring has the timing mark on it, so this means setting the timing can be difficult if it has moved

Last edited:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Did the zero point on the balancer move you seam to be implying it didn't?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Did the zero point on the balancer move you seam to be implying it didn't?

No...When the rubber inbetween the outer and inner portion of the balancer gets old, it doesn't hold the outer ring, where the timing mark is, in it's original spot....So when you go to set the timing, it'll give you a false correct timing.

In my case, when I had to change dizzies, mine had moved, so my 6 degrees BTDC setting turned out to be 10 degrees BTDC to be correct, because it had moved slightly

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
No...When the rubber inbetween the outer and inner portion of the balancer gets old, it doesn't hold the outer ring, where the timing mark is, in it's original spot....So when you go to set the timing, it'll give you a false correct timing
Everytime I had a rubber deteriorate and move the only thing that stopped it flying off was the ac pulley ,