Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue led cluster=== hot spots== please help

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
Hi All

I just installed blue leds in my Cluster

I have hot spots it looks crap..
How do i go in fixing this problem????

I have a aftermarket white cluster
Also i am using smd 3 chip leds

Please anyone have any ideas????

Thanks in advance

thekid93

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack
get it done right or dont try, u need to add more led then just the std ones

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
the problem with LED's is the closer they are to the rear of the dash facia the worse the hot spot they're like a torch with a focused beam

i don't how you did them, but if you can move them away from the dash the better light distribution you'll get and more even it will be

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
the problem with LED's is the closer they are to the rear of the dash facia the worse the hot spot they're like a torch with a focused beam

i don't how you did them, but if you can move them away from the dash the better light distribution you'll get and more even it will be

Thats right plus anything that just replaces the single globe where it b a 3 or 5 chip LED (including ebay jobs) it simply wont work coz u can get the even spread of light. have a read through the LED conversion thread plenty of info there.

i guess the hint here is the more LEDs u use the better the light spread (veiwing angle) will b.

Z

ZaRnOw

I don't think you can completely get an even spread of light when doing the blue LED conversion. Ive done it myself and I couldn't really get rid of the hotspots, and most people ive seen that has done it all have hotspots. However you can do things to spead the light more evenly.

What I did is that I sanded down the top of the LED so that the round top is flat, making the light distribute more evenly over the cluster.
Also positioning of the LEDs is also very important, if your putting the LEDS really far into the holes where the globes go, you will have worse hotspots, and light will not reach everywhere in the cluster.
Try to get the LED into the exact same location of where the globe would go.
Also the size and brightness of the LEDs will matter as well.
I used 7000mcd 5mm LEDS I think.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
I don't think you can completely get an even spread of light when doing the blue LED conversion. Ive done it myself and I couldn't really get rid of the hotspots, and most people ive seen that has done it all have hotspots. However you can do things to spead the light more evenly.

Actually u can, take a look at ASR and it'll speak 4 itself :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Scrapping off the green film will help eliminate the hot-spots. If the LEDs have to penetrate the film it won't come out as good.