Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Miss E u should consider scratching the back of ur dail if ur goin 2 use diff colours im playin with diff colours n at 1st the colours looked really dull... blue was the only 1 that came through with out noticing the green ay as u all know, im workin on makin my needles light up red as soon as ive fininshed i'll show ya some pics i scratched mine with the back of a chisile like a scraper it comes of pretty easy tho it is a lil fiddly if u do all the dashes n speed markers but well worth it urs looks alot better then some ive seen dun all blue

Miss-E

VTCOM6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
RUS-14N - for red and blue those leds are great. But other colours theyre not so good with the green. Someone is making me a custom modulator that will make it work with dials to change the color but that will take a couple of months, until then i have blue :D

If anyone gets the 3 colour leds working, take some pics and show me :D

Mine does have fairly even colour in blue and its a very bright dark blue, although ive got it set to a really low light so it doesnt hurt my eyes so it looks a bit more aqua than it could.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
So is everyone doing the conversion with all them little LED's that you have to solder and stuff? Has anyone done it with the T5 Wedge globes, i dont think im good enough to use the LED's lol

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
RUS-14N said:
Well I've scratched all the paint off the back of the fascia and managed to separate the arrows and the rest with red/blue

have a look, I think it came out quite nice

Could you tell me how you did the needles?

I tried to get mine to light up red but wasn't satisfied with the result. Because my dash has been converted to white the red LED's I tried placing at my needles came out pink as it mixed the light colours and came out pink on the needles (and thats not what I want!!!).

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon Executive V6
YOu have to place the LED's for the arrows directly infront of the little prisms that reflect the light into the arrows, about 3-5 mm away from the prism, so that all light gets directed up.

I've melted a little sqyare out of the plastic see-through bit and intersted one led for each arrow.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
myberlina said:
Could you tell me how you did the needles?

I tried to get mine to light up red but wasn't satisfied with the result. Because my dash has been converted to white the red LED's I tried placing at my needles came out pink as it mixed the light colours and came out pink on the needles (and thats not what I want!!!).

Did u scratch the orange paint off ur needles??? i just did that last nite then got some wet n dry sand paper wet that down n then sanded along the back of the needle only, that gets rid of ne scratches that may come through then i got a red perminate marker n put it on the backs of the needles seems 2 b workin great at night and doesnt look 2 bad during the day either

RUS-14N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Wagon Executive V6
I didnt scratch anything off the arrows....and I wouldnt recommend it either, as the paint on them is made to reflect the colour evenly...if you scratch it, you wont get even lighting, just use a red LED

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
RUS-14N said:
I didnt scratch anything off the arrows....and I wouldnt recommend it either, as the paint on them is made to reflect the colour evenly...if you scratch it, you wont get even lighting, just use a red LED

i did both ay its bloody fiddly lol im tryna hurry up so i can show u guys...... n it lights up pretty evan ay

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
wrx884 said:
Did u scratch the orange paint off ur needles??? i just did that last nite then got some wet n dry sand paper wet that down n then sanded along the back of the needle only, that gets rid of ne scratches that may come through then i got a red perminate marker n put it on the backs of the needles seems 2 b workin great at night and doesnt look 2 bad during the day either

Mine is a series II model which doesnt have the orange needles. They appear white by day and orange at night. Well the orange part used to be there until i changed the backlights to white!!!

I thought about doing what you did with sandpaper but I had my reservations. If you could show us the photos when your done it would help heaps!

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
RUS-14N said:
YOu have to place the LED's for the arrows directly infront of the little prisms that reflect the light into the arrows, about 3-5 mm away from the prism, so that all light gets directed up.

I've melted a little sqyare out of the plastic see-through bit and intersted one led for each arrow.

Ahh yes... that plastic prism. I tired directing light thru those 'receiving points' near where the original globes used to be but the white still got into the prism so it makes sense to do what you did and hack a bit of it out.