Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Sounds good, post up some pics wen u get it done.

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
i just had another theory. but maybe someone thought it up already.

are uv led's available?

and if they are, do you think that we could paint certain parts of the dash a colour to suit you using uv reactive paint?

im thinking of doing this now. even though the blue/white led dash looks good, just want something new to experiement, and finally get red needles!

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
That'd look really good if you could do that, but I doubt LED's could achieve the UV light. Maybe you could get bulbs? I don't know, sus it out, but good idea.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
i'll second that, i've seen UV LEDs. Anyway, that's not what i'm here to ask :p. Ok now me being a pov and all at the moment trying to get this stereo up and running i decided i couldn't afford to do the dash right now and i should leave it till once all the stereo is finished. HOWEVER, i've just found a pretty good deal on LED's on ebay that i thought i should chuck a link in for here incase anybody else was interested. 100 Blue 5mm 10,000mcd LEDs as well as resistors to suit them in a 12 volt application included going for $0.99 + $23.00 postage. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7631688309&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Ok, the thing i'm wondering is how do you determine what size LED's you'll need? (Because me being povo and all at the moment sees an ideal situation where i can use 5mm all round on my VS commodore so i only have to buy one stack of 100 LEDs from the link above and then fit em in). Question is, can it be done or do i definitely need to buy say 3mm LED's for certain spots? I don't know how many times i've read through this whole thread, but having found this price on LEDs i thought it was worth digging up and asking about. Anyways, let me know somebody ASAP. Cheers, Bryce.

P.S. Croatia play dirty at soccer and that was the worst reffing i've ever seen.

Last edited:

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
You can use 5mm all round I think.. fairly sure anyway =P
Thanks for the link buddy.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
awesome can someone please verify this? I took a look at one of the posts in here saying people paid approximately $4 per LED and thought people might find this a better option if your on a budget.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey spyder, just another question, i see you used a combination of 3mm and 5mm LEDs... i'm assuming the 5mm ones were simply used to give you more light/better light spread whereas the 3mm ones were used where this wasn't required because they were cheaper? Would this be correct to say? You didn't use 3mm ones in places where 5mm ones wouldn't fit did you? (Just trying to get more verification on whether all 5mm's would fit ok that's all).

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
I used 5mm everywhere, they fit fine.
They give u a better spread of light.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
that's what i like to hear! lol. Cheers guys, looks like i might be investing $30 in some LEDs :p. Oh one last question, i've got a soldering iron and solder, do i need anything else to do it apart from the obvious (screwdrivers etc).