Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
WinterVX said:
I had a go at pullin my dash appart over the weekend, seems simple enough....I might give the conversion a try one day

Do you really have to use resistors on the LEDs in the cluster?

Im thinkin about doing what Deserthead did with his, take the cluster out and
replace the face with a white insert that already illuminates blue for the speedo, and place one blue LED for the ODO etc.

Anyone had any luck with changing over the little leds that sit inside the power window switches to blue by any chance?
Took a rear power window switch appart last night, and the LED is tiny as!

ive dun my hazard switch and power switch id imagine it would b similar 2 them tho yer try look 4 some 3mm LEDs on ebay i got a heap off there tho i was still able 2 use 5mm LEDs its the fiddly soldering thats the hardest part tho not really that difficult at all

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
WinterVX said:
I had a go at pullin my dash appart over the weekend, seems simple enough....I might give the conversion a try one day

Do you really have to use resistors on the LEDs in the cluster?

Im thinkin about doing what Deserthead did with his, take the cluster out and
replace the face with a white insert that already illuminates blue for the speedo, and place one blue LED for the ODO etc.

Anyone had any luck with changing over the little leds that sit inside the power window switches to blue by any chance?
Took a rear power window switch appart last night, and the LED is tiny as!

That is easy. Did it on mine a while back with no major problems. My original globe (thou it wasn't LED strangely) was busted and I wanted them to work. Simply principle that if it should be working and it isn't... then fix it!

Have to take it apart tonight anyways because some ******** friend broke it by moving it up and down rapidly. They thought it was "funny". F**k that pisses me off when they do that! Mind you they enjoyed a cold wind going home (eastern freeway all the way) because the window wouldn't go up and I refused to do it myself at the front HAHAHA. Cop that.

Back to the q'n, WinterVX, I will post some photos from the camera phone when I do it later tonight if you would like. I used 5mm LED's in mine... just! If I change mine in the future I will use 3mm.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
myberlina said:
Back to the q'n, WinterVX, I will post some photos from the camera phone when I do it later tonight if you would like. I used 5mm LED's in mine... just! If I change mine in the future I will use 3mm.

Be good if possible....the stock ones are a bit odd, they are 3mm LEDs but sit on a rubber base....

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
WinterVX said:
Be good if possible....the stock ones are a bit odd, they are 3mm LEDs but sit on a rubber base....

No worries... will post the photos when I get home from work.

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
ok guys i will be doing the t5 wedge globe conversion start of next week i will post u piccys as so as its complete and my mate has dun his dash this way and i looks great only thing u is 2day i pull apart a hazard light switch a had lieing around and u cant use wedge globes there i guess this will be the same with all the buttons

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Ne1 here thats done their LED converstion eva tried swapping the globes in ur old eurovox 2 3mm LEDs??? they fit perfect but cant seem 2 get them 2 work ne ides y??

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
I just replaced my head unit =)
It was hard pulling my eurovox apart though, the board was clipped and soldered onto a part of the casing.. althought I was only after the shell of it...

WinterVX, I took apart my power window button to have a look at the LED's in there.. if I'm not mistaken, they'd be surface mount LEDs. For the fk of me I couldn't figure out how to get them off, then how to solder a new one on. So I just put it all back together. Also, if I were you and had a spare $200, I'd just buy the white cluster face that myberlina has.. looks perfect that way and no dicking around. And also yes, a resistor is needed or the LED will blow. They don't handle 12volts.

What are these t5 wedge globes? Just normal white (yellow) light globes with blue plastic over them? The light would look crap IMO, and you'd NEED to take the green backing off the cluster face.

My trip computer LED broked =( I gotta take it all apart and I want to re-do the dash completely cuz I'm unhappy with the results at the moment. Looks cheesy. How would I go about using multiple LED's from the same connection? LED's in parallel yes? Then I'd need to work out another resistor to drop the voltage based on number of LED's used wouldn't I?

Something like this?

+
-----/\/\---|---|---|
............. ^...^...^
--------------------
-

^ = LED
/\/\ = resistor

... just to fill space