Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blue LED Dash Conversion

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yer i got a head deck in already thinkin of muckin round with this old unit and then just floggin it off 2 some1 who wants it otherwise its just sittin there doin nothing plus im bored n wanna do more LEDs haha ive seen it dun n doesnt look half bad either.

i parralleled 4 LEDs in my auto shifter took a bit of muckin bout but got it workin perfect its hard 2 explain would b best off showin u some pics but as its in my shifter already i didnt take ne pics b4 hand lol u just gotta make sure u use a resistor 4 each LED u cant use just 1 as each will have diff current running through them then and some only half light up. Im doin another lot just the same in another shifter soon so will let u know and take some pics this time

Last edited:

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Yeah that'd be good if you could please, but you sure you need more than one resistor? Doesn't the voltage split evenly through a parallel circuit if each LED is of the same rating?

I studied electronics for like 3 years and I don't remember something as simple as this, shocking.. =/

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
na coz apparently if u do that u get a diff current voltage and the LEDs dont all light up the same evenly the resistors make sure each LED get the exact same amount of power in them i had 2 play round a bit with my LEDs wen i did it coz i had 4 ina row the 3rd 1 seemd 2 b dull and i didnt know y but as soon as i put a resistor on each LED they worked perfect ay

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
Ah the resistor must split the current evenly then, I figured the LEDs would do it. Cool though, thanks for that. For 4 in parallel then, it should just be 100ohm on each LED then.. since 1 in series is about 400ohm.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
they should put out 430ohm's in each LED well i know all mine did but yer u get the idea ur on the right track lol u can test the resistors wen u have them all parrallel with a multimeter and it will tell u how many ohms r runnin through each resistor

B

buzurk

well im getting there,

i got teh air con controls, mode button and computer done!~

wasnt that hard hey

should i just use T5 leds from ebay for the fual, temp and tacho, speedo?? i feel that would be easier, can anyone provide a link to the ones that will fit that application

and can anyone verify if the headlight switch has a led in it???

Pics pics pics

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPG
    IMG_1966.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1981.JPG
    IMG_1981.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_1982.JPG
    IMG_1982.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 415

Spyper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim
If your mode button lights up, then the headlight switch should too. Neither of mine do though, but others have.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
buzurk said:
... and can anyone verify if the headlight switch has a led in it???

No... it uses a standard globe that is soldered into the PCB. There are 3 of these globes in my one which have now been replaced.

I used to have some pic's of the damn thing somewhere from when I did do it but not sure where in this stupid computer they are now. lol.

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Sorry WinterVX. Have been out of it for a bit with the doc's lately. I did get some photos but the quality is pretty ****.

I put a 5mm LED in my rear windows switches but if I had to do the same again I would use a 3mm instead. Doing that will give you more room to play with inside the switch.

The resistor itself is inside the assembly lying flat in between the copper tracks, altough, you could add it by cutting into the wire that supplies power to the LED light before it goes into the socket. It's entirely choice.

Just don't cut the LED length too short as a mate of mine who did this, now has the light coming through the sides of the switch. Doesn't look nice like that.

Attachments

• Image004.jpg
    Image004.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 386
Last edited: