Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Body filler thickness

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I actually think it's gonna be a lot thinner amount of bog than i thought. I am wondering now if it even needs dent pulling?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I actually think it's gonna be a lot thinner amount of bog than i thought. I am wondering now if it even needs dent pulling?

Pulling it out would definately reduce the amount of filler required

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pulling it out would definately reduce
Definitely, it just comes down to whether i can get help to do that part. I don't have the gear to weld or a slide hammer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
lead wipe :p

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
hit it with some cutters to get the colour back to white as best as possible then forget about it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, looks like i have some help to pull the dent. I will post some pics on the long weekend if we get it done. I have a map torch so that and a slide hammer and maybe a long bolt and some massaging from behind i can get it out enough that the bog is just a few skims.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
what would one bother lead loading? The oldman said he first saw bog in 1957 and thought it would never catch on by 1960 everyone was using it.
Are there any lead filled joints on commodores after vn ? The few old lead repairs Ive found on old holdens rusted around the lead. You'd have to be restoring a car of the fiftys to bother lead wiping if a bloke was that good he could probably metal finish it anyway. Since its been brought up would a commodore panel worp while one was melting the lead onto the panel.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Years ago when I owned a MK 11 Jag the members of the club I belonged to would boast about the joints being leaded. The fact of it is that the panels were a poor fit and required filling.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
what would one bother lead loading? The oldman said he first saw bog in 1957 and thought it would never catch on by 1960 everyone was using it.
Are there any lead filled joints on commodores after vn ? The few old lead repairs Ive found on old holdens rusted around the lead. You'd have to be restoring a car of the fiftys to bother lead wiping if a bloke was that good he could probably metal finish it anyway. Since its been brought up would a commodore panel worp while one was melting the lead onto the panel.

The last car my mate lead filled was a TE Cortina....So a little past the 50's era you're referring to and not of the Holden variety...It was done 10 years ago and still hasn't rusted out where the work was done...

Was he good...Open to debate, but he did restore a VC Valiant ute, lead filling areas and at it's first show, scored best paint and panel...The ute got sold to someone in NSW and was still winning best paint and panel at shows....Unfortunately lost track of the ute about 15 years ago