Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boiling coolant

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
No, my point is you have one experience, I have another, I believe providing balance to topics isn't a crime, maybe I'm wrong cos you're a mod and this isn't a democracy. I wasn't saying you have a little penis. If you want to go all high and mighty, oh infinite oracle of wisdom, go nuts.

mtw002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 Ute
Thanks for your answers and entertainment guys.
Really helpful.

Matt

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I hate to be boring, but getting back to the topic -
quote: "And once iv driven it and come to a stop it's boiled the coolant,
As the overflow filler is wobbling and has steam coming out of it,
Not excessive amounts, but steam none the less. "

- the coolant normally operates above the boiling point of water, but the coolant is not just water, and it is pressurized, so it has a higher boiling-point in those circumstances.
- some flex in the filler is no surprize. If you think it is excessive, you might ask other VE drivers if you can inspect theirs, by way of comparison;
&/or, have a look around the reservoir and see if all of the screws etc are in place and fastened.
- I've never seen steam coming out of mine, and that doesn't sound correct.
The overflow holds some coolant when cold, and receives more as the motor warms up, but the overflow has no other source of heat, and although it gets warmer as you go along, it ought not approach the operating temperature of the motor. Steam makes me wonder if you have insufficient coolant in the overflow to condense the coolant flowing out of the radiator ?

I would suggest that you consider the following points -
are you using the correct coolant ?
is the cooling system, including the overflow reservoir, filled to the correct level (as per the dipstick in the overflow) ?
do you have the correct radiator cap, and is it functioning correctly* ?
* can be difficult to determine from a visual inspection alone. Sometimes the answer is to put in a new one, and see if it makes a difference.

In three years of owning a VZ 3.6L, I had to replace the radiator cap twice. I bought them from the Holden dealer for about $25.
I can't comment on aftermarket alternatives, because I have no experience of them.
In three years of owning a VE 3.0L, I have not had to replace the radiator cap at all (165,000 on the odo).

Please let us know how you get on.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
All this talk of radiador caps, does the car even have one, mine don't.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Shorty, my coolant doesn't operate above 100°C and nor should it.
I've also never seen a thermostat that melts/opens over 100°C in a vehicle.

If you take your cap to a mechanic, he should be able to pressure test it for you there and then.
How olds the coolant?
Is it original?
Is the level correct?
Has the radiator been blocked/fins damaged?
Park on somewhere clean after a long drive, let it sit and see if its leaking. Have your aircon off to not get confused.
Check thermostat and water pump.

mtw002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6 Ute
Sorry guys, since tapatalk went down, its been a bit hard to get on...

The issue was as followes;

The cap had a jamming issue, and that was replaced,
the sensor that detects the engine coolant temp (the one that is displayed in engineering mode), had an intermittent fault.

I noticed my right headlight was full of moisture, checked the overflow, and the overflow container was so hot that i couldn't touch it.
i checked the engine coolant temp, and it said -40 degrees. assuring me the sensor wasn't working, or atleast intermittent fault. Also thermo fans were not running.
Restarted the car, coolant temp went to 110 degrees, and both thermos fired up.

Hence i can conclude that with the combination of a dicky sensor and a buggered cap, she was overheating.

GIVE THIS MAN A PHD! ^^^^^^