Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet Adjustment

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais, 1965 Morris Mini
Hi guys,

A while back my bonnet was reversed into on the passenger side. They barely touched it and only left a little mark, but the bonnet is now out of alignment on that side.

When opening the bonnet the back passenger corner moves back and actually touches the windscreen. However when closed the front and back corners appear to be aligned, but the middle sits a tad high.

Is there any adjustment I can make on the hinges? Do I just unbolt the bonnet and see if I can slide it forward a little?

Ryan

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Unbolt, slide to adjust, there is also a height adjustment overall at the front for the striker/stay.

If you cant get it to line up it may have bent the hinges a little.

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the response. How is the height adjusted?

I have a feeling it could be the hinge that is bent. It would be just my luck.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
I had a sunken hinge on one of my vn's/vp's (can't remember which one) and it would sit alright while it was shut but open badly and touch the windscreen as you say. Anyway it ended up cracking my winscreen eventually so you might end up needing a new one. See if you can adjust it first though. Just watch that screen.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
that too^^

the red vp im doing up had a similar issue. when your bonnet is closed and latched lift and push down on the corner of the bonnet near the windscreen. if theres play up and down (even a little loose) then the hinges need to be replaced. i went to the wreckers and found a mint set off one to the donor cars, painted them up and installed. perfect, there tight as a virgin... think i paid like 6 bucks each or something stupid...

Filippimini

Reaction score
Members Ride
that too^^

the red vp im doing up had a similar issue. when your bonnet is closed and latched lift and push down on the corner of the bonnet near the windscreen. if theres play up and down (even a little loose) then the hinges need to be replaced. i went to the wreckers and found a mint set off one to the donor cars, painted them up and installed. perfect, there tight as a virgin... think i paid like 6 bucks each or something stupid...

Sounds like a good plan of attack.
What model vehicles have compatible hinges? Vn? Vp? Etc

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
that too^^

My donor car was my little bro's vn that he wasn't old enough to drive yet :p lol