Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet - Door Lock - Solenoids?

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
Hey has anyone out there taken the time to install solenoid type door locks. ( I think thats what they are called ) You know the type where you push a button and POP. out they come.
Reason being, ever since I re sprayed my engine bay. I have not been able to get the cable for the bonnet to stay in the right place, using the normal clips. and now, because I am rather impatient and have a temper. I snapped off the bonnet release lever from inside the car. :b:. and am getting ready to just tear out the whole thing with a big set of pliers !!!
I figured I might get the solenoids to aid in "theft prevention" and also because they are just way cooler..!

viper1431

Reaction score
Central locking? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, are you saying you want to put one of those solenoids on the bonnet release so you can push a button and release the bonnet? If so it won't work.

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
viper1431 said:
Central locking? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, are you saying you want to put one of those solenoids on the bonnet release so you can push a button and release the bonnet? If so it won't work.

I was thinking get the central locking. mechanism thing. or one about 300 times smaller. and attempt to have it push or pull the metal rod that is pulled by the cable to POP the bonnet.
as for the doors, i think the solenoids are like magnetic, and replace the standard door catches? not to sure. havnt dipped into this kind of thing far enuff yet.. just wondering
Id like to leave the bonnet catch mechanism as is, so I dont have a fear of it flipping up if something breaks at 100ks an hour.. so some kind of "servo" ,in hobby talk. would be good

Genesis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E Station Wagon
I'm not sure what they call them, but there is a system of ensuring that the bonnet does not fly up if the latch breaks. The bonnet is pinned down using steel rods with high tensile cables.

It's used on alot of high performance or racing cars. I'm sure you'll be able to find a picture of it on any performance website with pictures. Just look for two small rods poking up through the bonnet toward the grille with pins through them to hold the bonnet down.

viper1431

Reaction score
YellowVH said:
I was thinking get the central locking. mechanism thing. or one about 300 times smaller. and attempt to have it push or pull the metal rod that is pulled by the cable to POP the bonnet.
as for the doors, i think the solenoids are like magnetic, and replace the standard door catches? not to sure. havnt dipped into this kind of thing far enuff yet.. just wondering
Id like to leave the bonnet catch mechanism as is, so I dont have a fear of it flipping up if something breaks at 100ks an hour.. so some kind of "servo" ,in hobby talk. would be good

The door ones sort of clamp onto the rod that locks/unlocks the door, the actual lock you put the key in is attatched to that same rod. Problem is those solenoids are extremely weak and i can't see one being able to handle the bonnet latch. I've set a few sets up in cars and even the slightest amount of restriction on the door lock and the solenoids just don't work.

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
viper1431 said:
The door ones sort of clamp onto the rod that locks/unlocks the door, the actual lock you put the key in is attatched to that same rod. Problem is those solenoids are extremely weak and i can't see one being able to handle the bonnet latch. I've set a few sets up in cars and even the slightest amount of restriction on the door lock and the solenoids just don't work.

haha sounds about as weak as me first thing in the morning!

YellowVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Its to embarrasing!
Genesis said:
I'm not sure what they call them, but there is a system of ensuring that the bonnet does not fly up if the latch breaks. The bonnet is pinned down using steel rods with high tensile cables.

It's used on alot of high performance or racing cars. I'm sure you'll be able to find a picture of it on any performance website with pictures. Just look for two small rods poking up through the bonnet toward the grille with pins through them to hold the bonnet down.

yeah I like the bonnet pin idea. but Im not sure of the "road worthy" side of it ?