Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bonnet gas strut supports

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
What's the deal with the adaptor on the rod end that fits to the hex bolt hinge?

I got a pair of new struts from SuperCheap Auto... after checking the forum & eBay, methinks not so SuperCheap,anywho...

Easy enough to unscrew the ball joint adaptor on the rod end from the new ones, not so on the old ones, maybe cos they're shagged.
Anyone got some tips & tricks?

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Meah. I'll just try a piece of rubber between the rod & vice grips or something.
Doesn't look like the pin on the mounting bracket that secures the rod end of the gas lifter is removable.

d.k.vmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS
For the bonnet side
Pull the little metal tab off first the the ball will fall out

The bottom is not removable so if you dont have them on the new ones you got the wrong ones

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks man. THe SuperCHeap nerd got 'em for me... According to the product list http://eziautoparts.com.au/pdf/Strongarm.pdf it is the correct part.
Top end ball connector is easy enough but If the bottom end of the strut is not removable and the pin that secures it to the mounting plate (with hex bolts) is not removable then you'd need the whole kit. U sure mate?

d.k.vmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS
The bottom plate that attaches to the body/ fender that has 2 torx bolt in it will not remove from the strut. The new strut should come with it already attached. Tomorrow when I get home I'll take some pictures and while at work I'll find te part number for you.

CommieKal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 SV6 Ute
I bought a pair of new bonnet struts off fleabay for $37 delivered. I unscrewed the torx bolts and then just popped the old strut off the ball on the other end. the end of the old strut broke at this point which didn't matter. It was going in the bin anyway...lol. v the new strut popped straight onto the ball joint and screwed in perfectly.

The new struts are so good that ONE held the bonnet up no prob while i was fitting the second...