Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bonnet scoops

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
got a vy with a pod filter installed, and want to get more cold air going direct to the filter. thought about a few different options and then i saw a picture of the hrt 427 monaro and its scoops would be perfect and they look tough. where can i get a pair if it is even possible. your responses and thoughts would be very appreciated

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Bonnet scoops to ram cold air under the bonnet are rarely a great idea, unless they're done very carefully. I would avoid doing anything that messes with airflow under the bonnet - if anything, you should be trying to remove hot air, rather than blowing cooler air in. The only cars that should have air flowing in are those with top-mount intercoolers.

You're better off using an over-the-radiator shroud that directs air at your pod filter, which should really be in an insulated compartment to be effective (and fully legal).

Personally, I think bonnet scoops of any sort look pretty dodgy - I like clean bonnet lines, so to me, bonnet scoops are RICE.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
i don't mind the look of them but I don't think that it would do much for your car performance wise. Not really worth the money imo.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
you need to get yourself a mitsubishi evo5/6 side bonnet vent. i got mine from carmate, but that was about 3 years ago

GO RICE

Picture038.jpg

miss that car, its now in lancer heaven:cry: thanks to the new owner

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
to think that you used to drive that:whistling. The day you got that SV6 was the day you went from boy to man.

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
somehow i dont think the side vent is commo friendly IMO.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
If you want genuinely effective bonnet vents, take a look at the old Sierra Cosworth bonnet, or a similar vent found on the old XR8 Sprint. This style is still fairly common amongst ricer boys but they are often mounted facing the wrong way (blowing air under the bonnet rather than sucking hot air out.

The current and previous model EVO Lancers also have proper bonnet vents which extract hot air from behind the radiator very effectively. This keeps the underbonnet temperatures under control, even with turbos etc.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
to think that you used to drive that:whistling. The day you got that SV6 was the day you went from boy to man.

hence the term ricer BOY, lol, but meh, we are all young and dumb at one stage.