Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boost set up opinions?

tommygun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M6
Found a cool read about different supercharges and turbo set ups.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0808phr_roots_centrifigul_screw_superchargers/viewall.html

I'm planning on boosting my ls1 and was after some opinions on different setup... Say what type of set up you have used (turbo, roots or centrifugal), how you set it up, what you liked about it, fuel efficiency and power.

I'm leaning toward a roots style supercharger because I like the idea of torque all over the place and response but I have heard some good things about turbo set ups but I would have to sell some of my current set up to set up a turbo. My car has cam, heads headers etc and I won't be able to use my cam and headers with a turbo. The centrifugal looks like an awesome set up too, Im after some comparison and pros and cons.

I guess it would be cool to chat to some guys who have boost set ups on their ls1 and get some more idea of what I want.

So what do ya reckon?

Harris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Got a 6 litre with cam and supercharger (capa 2300) in my vz ss and i LOVE it. So much torque make 550rwhp at 6300rpm on a soft tune on 15psi could get over 600 with a good tune but want to keep the heads on. Best iv got in fuel is 10.2/100 in 5th because cam doesnt like 6th at 110km. The best thing bout it is the torque, the 15psi comes on instantly. So happy i got a top mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 170

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
My VT has a centrifugal charger on it and to be totally honest it is probably the last option you would go with on a street car. Makes boost way to late in the rev range. It is still fun but not turbo/PD fun.

I guess it is really just a dyno queen.

tommygun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 M6
What kind if unit do you have one your vt? Does the power come on all of a sudden like a narrow powrrband?

R0d

Reaction score
Members Ride
cammed vu maloo r8
Do you need bigger injectors and computer to run a supercharger if you already have cam and headwork done? I was planning to run a charger to but didn't want to upgrade everything else aswell. What about fuel pump too?? Sorry for questions I've only ever put a turbo on a old diesel Hilux.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Do you need bigger injectors and computer to run a supercharger if you already have cam and headwork done? I was planning to run a charger to but didn't want to upgrade everything else aswell. What about fuel pump too?? Sorry for questions I've only ever put a turbo on a old diesel Hilux.

You'll need 60+ pound injectors and definetely need to upgrade pump. I'm running standard pump into a 3litre surge with twin 044 pumps.supply pressure to the rails, then regulated return to surge.tank.
nd as for computer, you just get the standard computer returned. And. 2bar map sensor.

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
It will definetely affect performance under boost, but how it affects it depends on the cam, lumpy suggest a smaller lobe seperation angle, which will effectively allow boost to escape the combustion chamber during the overlap period, a.cam with a 114lsa or higher is better suited.to boost, though there can be exceptions to that rule.