Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

boot gas strut brackets

almiaman

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 WH2 Statesman
Hi, Most probably know this but I will write it anyway.
Just looking at replacing my boot struts on VS Acclaim. (spoiler)
Found he brackets coming away from the parcel shelf. One spot was broken and all others stretching away.
I drilled two 6mm holes per bracket and was able to fit large washers next to the pressed rib. This did not require removal of the shelf cover as you can work through the speaker punch outs within the boot.
It was a case of a stitch in time because it would be a much bigger job once they broke off.
Anyway, hope that helps someone out there.
Cheers, Al

Jasminka

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cerise Caprice
I found one bracket hanging by a thread - most of the spot welds had popped open, First propped boot up as high as possible. I drilled two 6 mm holes in the bracket first, while it was sagging down. They need to be in the rear half of the bracket, i.e. nearest to the rear of the car. I got a small G clamp to squeeze the bracket almost onto the shelf. At each step feel through the access hole to make sure no wires are above the bracket. Now of the 2 bolt holes, the outermost would take the most load. I drilled a 3.5 mm hole into the parcel shelf via the inner hole. I put a 14 guage self tapper into it to pull the bracket up firmly. Then drilled a 6 mm hole in the shelf through the outer hole for a bolt. If you have fat blokey fingers it might be hard to get a nut on the bolt. The other bracket was intact, but I but a bolt through it as well to be safe. Again check for wires first.