Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot Install +Stinger Capacitor???

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
appreciate all the feedback. cartoonwally i havn't charged the cap yet so I think I'll do it like you said, to have my amps '+' connected to the cap first and then charge my cap.....

As for caps having an adverse effect on a system I strongly think they do have benefit to a system with amps that have a high output. I'll soon find out if this is true or not when i connect mine up, at the moment i got it all running without the cap and my lights do dim when those bigger bass notes kick in....so time will tell if these things really have value or not?????

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
have you upgraded the battery earth to chassis yet?

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
?????NO??????

Do i need to?
It's a heavy duty battery.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
upgrade your earth cable, if you follow the negatve terminal you will find one thick wire going to the engine somewhere and another one (possibly a little smaller) going to the body of the car...well, the one that goes to car, upgrade it to the same size as the power cable going to the amp.

This is often forgotten.

In simple terms mate look at like this...you have a positive and a negative right? Think of the positive as your output...and the negative as your input.You have to put it all back in once you've taken all the power out ok? So, if you can only take the power out of the battery as fast at you can put it back in. If you still have a small cable putting it all back into the battery then that big hunk of cable going to your amps is totally bloody useless isn't it? lol did that make sense?

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
Ok a capacitor is a storage device, it stores power so when you get a heavy bass note from your stereo the amps draw a large amount of current, the capacitor supplies some of this current rather than directly off the battery. The advantage of a capacitor is that it prevents some voltage drop. by preventing voltage drop, you get better bass quality and also more bass not only from the woofers but also your speakers as it prevents other amps from dropping voltage as well. Amplifiers run better at higher voltages. People dont seem to understand that when large power is drawn from a supply voltage that is unregulate ie: a car. The voltage drops and the current increases.

You can have all the power connected to your amps and capacitors, just have the main fuse removed. The reason why u charge a capacitor is because if you didnt charge it and connected it to the battery, the split second it is connected the capacitor would draw a large amount of current quickly thus producing a spark and a cracking noise at the point of connection. It will scorch the battery terminal and the terminal on the wire. Almost like a split second arch weld. And also it creates a safety hazard to the fingers you are using to connect the wire. You use a resitor or a light bulb to reduce the voltage to the capacitor thus safely charging without the snap crackle and pop. If using a light bulb you will see the light intensity rise and then slowly go down again. As soon as the light globe starts to reduce it light intensity the capacitor is fully charged.

why not just save the effort and take it back to the store and get your money back. capacitors do nothing for an audio system they are a waste of money. in fact they have been shown to have a negative effect on a system. so long as you have adequate size power cables and good earths you will be fine.

Your comment is really ill informed, Try educating yourself on understanding electrical theory. They cannot have an adverse affect on a car audio system. They are not a waste of money.

It doesnt matter how manny capacitors or alternators u use, you will still get lights dimming with heavy bass notes because you are running your stereo off an unregulated power supply. Adding capacitors and or upgrading alternators will reduce the amount of light dimming.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Except that with 90% of stereos there isn't enough current draw even with the big bass notes to cause a significant voltage drop.
Any stereo that can be run off 4awg wire isn't likely to be big enough to warrant a cap

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
And what would you call significant voltage drop then, a 4 gauge power wire is rated at 150 amps over a 5 metre length, even if it was drawing a third of that, it would definatly cause a significant voltage drop. A 1 volt drop is significant.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
ok guys, we don't have to bring in Kirchoff to explain this do we?

ruso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim S2
appreciate all the help guys....will upgrade the earth on my battery this arvo.