Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

boot rod

arty

Reaction score
Hi there all,

Just wondering if someone could help me out there.

I have a VN 89 sedan. One of the boot rods has snapped. I bought one recently and finding very hard to put it back on.

Has anyone done it before? If so how?

Regards,

Arty

R

rattattack1313

well mate..I'll get back to u in a day or so..I'm stripping a vn at the mo...

richie83

Reaction score
You mean the hinges where they connect to the chassis?'ve got the same problem, makes my boot completely out of whack. I think I may have to get it welded :-/

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
I have a VS, and there are arms that hold the boot and act as a hinge, plus on each of these arms there's a hydrolic gas support thing to stop it falling down when raised up. Is this the type you mean?

These hydrolic supports have a C shaped clip over each end which hold on around a ball shaped knob. You can lift each clip up with a flat-head screw driver (not all the way off unless you want to make things more fun and try and refit the tough little buggers). You just need to slide your flathead screwdriver in under the clip through the groove, and this makes enough space between the clip ends for the support arm to fit over the holding balls on each end. I found a gentle tap away from the support will remove the old one, and a similar knock back in the other direction will put the new one back in place. Then you remove the screwdriver and that releases the clip.

Otherwise if you have the old-style spring type supports then maybe one of the other guys here knows how they work...

Jazza

R

rattattack1313

thank yo , Jazza...now i know how to do it..muchly appreciated mate.....

Nikkojoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
AE86, VE M6 UTE, Toyota 86
My vn has spring style boot (two rods which act as a spring) so i imagine that one would have a spring too. It looks like one of my two had been replaced (one is bright metallic red, and the car is silver, but the other rod is black).

arty

Reaction score
Hi there,

On the VN they are two rods that act as a spring load so the boot can go up like what nikkojoe is talking about.

I think the VS has got struts but the vn and vp are the same.

It looks like know one has done them.... :confused:

oh well I'll try again one day.

Regards,

Arty

jazza21

Executive (Ex-Police)
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VS II Exec 1997
To get it to work there would have to be little extension things in the boot on the C shaped arm and a matching one further in the boot near the rear seats.

The things I am talking about are a little hard to describe. Essentially the best thing I can think they look like is a small ball attached to a short bar that extends out a bit from the side of the boot arm support. Maybe this helps =o (eg the = is the bar and the o is the ball).

Sorry but that's the best I can do without taking a photo!

Jazza