Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Borg Warner upgrades

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I have a factory lsd in my stato, and it hasnt worn noticeably at all, and it's been there for the past 3 years. Still very tight, and it hasn't been exactly babied.

The problems really start when people try and do but outs without the front wheels straight ahead. If you it feels like both wheels aren't spinning, you need to stop otherwise the cones will wear very quickly.

Flat surface, wheels straight ahead and equal traction for both wheels will help a factory lsd live a long life. Otherwise if you intend on doing a lot of circle work or thrashing it, you might be better off spending more money on a trutrac as mentioned above.

The lokkas are nice for a 4x4 (we have one), but it still sounds like your cars rooted whenever you need to go around a round about or navigating a car park. The clicking is pretty bloody loud.

Hot Rod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I rang that Torqueline Differential mob in Victoria about their diff centre. He said it's a copy of the Harrop / Eaton True trac centre. Assured ( convinced ? ) me of the quality.
Reckons a harrop / eaton centre was pulled completely apart and tested for metallurgy composition, then sent overseas for manufacture with the same metallurgy equivalant, then tested again here on completion. Sounds pretty good to me, even if it's 80% as good as the harrop / eaton then will not break on me for my intended purpose.
I know some of you reckon the factory LSD will be OK, but I will eventually have to take it apart and remove the 3.08 and put in a 3.9 The tyres ( 235 / 75 / 15 ) will be too tall for the overdrive to come in at around 90 km , which is where my old VR used to change ( unless the T700 can be adjusted ? )
Besides all that, blokes are asking $250 - 300 for a used LSD diff. At just over $600 for Ebay job, I reckon that's a bargain.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I rang that Torqueline Differential mob in Victoria about their diff centre. He said it's a copy of the Harrop / Eaton True trac centre. Assured ( convinced ? ) me of the quality.
Reckons a harrop / eaton centre was pulled completely apart and tested for metallurgy composition, then sent overseas for manufacture with the same metallurgy equivalant, then tested again here on completion. Sounds pretty good to me, even if it's 80% as good as the harrop / eaton then will not break on me for my intended purpose.
I know some of you reckon the factory LSD will be OK, but I will eventually have to take it apart and remove the 3.08 and put in a 3.9 The tyres ( 235 / 75 / 15 ) will be too tall for the overdrive to come in at around 90 km , which is where my old VR used to change ( unless the T700 can be adjusted ? )
Besides all that, blokes are asking $250 - 300 for a used LSD diff. At just over $600 for Ebay job, I reckon that's a bargain.

Sorry mate, which is it a copy of? I ask as the Harrop is able to handle a fair bit more power than the Eaton True-Trac.
It sounds like the guy you spoke to had no idea.

Hot Rod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
One or the other, I can't remember. He did know his stuff and told me which one, I didn't take too much notice as don't they both have the same design ? I thought so that's why I can't recall.
I didn't know the Harrop is stronger, even the Eaton capacity would be good enough for me. I just want piece of mind and for $600 reckon it will do me.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The Harrop truetrac is a made using the Eaton internals but using a higher quality housing which Harrop had to do to make em fit the various Aussie spec diffs. If you have a look at a Harrop centre it also has the Eaton branding on it.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Immortality is correct.

The Eaton is good for around 500 rwhp.

The Harrop is good for around 700 rwhp.

So yeah, probably more than strong enough for what your after.

Hot Rod

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
I was going to use a 1 piece tailshaft made from stock tube and unis / yoke. How many HP would the stock tailshaft take ?
Is it worth considering an upgrade on that --- what suggestions do you have please.
Also, any WA members here who can recommend a tail shaft engineering place that knows Commodore stuff.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Is it worth considering an upgrade on that --- what suggestions do you have please.

It goes back to what you said in the first post about what you wanted to use it for, if it's street driving I wouldn't bother. If your aim is go to woah every time you take off, then maybe.

How much power does this car make?