Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake booster

Clakers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb Sl commodore
Hi guys I was just wondering what would be the best brake booster for my Vb ? It has original unit but car is now running a 253 and brakes seem to be spongy disc on front drums on back .I didn’t really want to change brakes if I can get away with it I have bled brakes a few times but still spongy ? Any help would be appreciated cheers craig

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It won't be the brake booster with those symptoms......

I'd be looking at the master cylinder being the problem, with a spongy brake pedal

Clakers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb Sl commodore
Thanks Vc would I be better of upgrading master cylinder or just re building ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks Vc would I be better of upgrading master cylinder or just re building ?

Either or....Rebuilding would almost guarantee you won't have problems...I say almost, as places can stuff up the rebuild....

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
the adjustment on the back brakes controls pedal hieght if the back brakes are way out of adjustment maybe the self adjusters aren't working. You will have lots of pedal. If you want to register the car as a v8 the rwc bloke will probably want disks on the back like every factory v8 commodore had and the double diaframe booster. I painted a booster once it looked really good pitty iI'd lost the reaction disk inside it that made for spongy brakes.
Check or adjust the back brakes bleed brakes with out the engine running is the pedal hard and high start engine pedal goes spongy its booster.

Clakers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb Sl commodore
Thanks Boozer I will try all That and let ya know cheers

Clakers

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb Sl commodore
Hey Boozer and Vc thanks for your help it ended up being lack of maintenance from previous owner all the brakes were seized and had like black dirt all through the lines ?? Cheers guys