Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake ducts

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
gday has anyone hooked up the brake ducts of their front bar? if you have could you please tell me what you used and how you did it, like how it was fastened to direct all the air on the rotor. also would it b something that i can do easily myself or should i just get it done. and is it legal to have?

chears -L8N-

Attachments

• edited.JPG
    edited.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 313

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
hmmm... never thought of that.

when i went to my first V8 race i seen these big ducts thinking they were the CAI!!!!
they turned out to be brake ducts, CAI being in center of bar.

left hand side brake duct can be turned into a great CAI, with a good ramming efect.
only thing is its a bit low to the ground.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
yeah i thought about using it as a cai, but i am un keen to cut a big hole under the air box for the pipe to run through. if i was going to do it i would have a filter at the front were the air is drawn in and have a pannel filter as well to stop all the crap from being drawn in to the motor. and the pipe would have to have a fair angle to stop water from being drawn in to the air box

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
L8N said:
gday has anyone hooked up the brake ducts of their front bar? if you have could you please tell me what you used and how you did it, like how it was fastened to direct all the air on the rotor. also would it b something that i can do easily myself or should i just get it done. and is it legal to have?

chears -L8N-
do you really need to? if so, it can be undertaken in the back shed by anyone with a bit of DIY attitude. you might need to fabricate some steel sections, especially where it expels to the centre of the rotor and the section where the tyre comes close upon full lock steering movements....apart from that though, it's all flexitube.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
i just want the brakes to be a good as they can be. thanks for that. will it be legal though? if its done right

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
L8N said:
yeah i thought about using it as a cai, but i am un keen to cut a big hole under the air box for the pipe to run through. if i was going to do it i would have a filter at the front were the air is drawn in and have a pannel filter as well to stop all the crap from being drawn in to the motor. and the pipe would have to have a fair angle to stop water from being drawn in to the air box

i'll post up some piccys of my CAI over the next few days...
works a treat

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
L8N said:
i just want the brakes to be a good as they can be. thanks for that. will it be legal though? if its done right
yes, should be legal, providing it is no obstruction whatsoever to your braking, steering, suspension movement etc...it is only basically some airducting, you are not changing any of the manufacturers settings or design.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
If you want good brakes spend the extra cash for grooved / spot drilled larger dia ventilated front and back disks (unfortunately needs 17" wheels) and go all out to balance the front - back pressure the rear disks need to be from the same package, Add a set of Brembo 3 piston calipers if cash is plenty and your going to have brakes better than most any top end sports car and very close to V8 supercar quality with the 3 piston Brembo calipers, or go with another cheaper brand of calipers and disks, available anywhere.

A set of cheaper good aftermarket brake disks and dual piston calipers will set you back around $1,500 or so plus a days work, add another grand for the wheels and tires, not a cheap 10 min mod.

Although both bigger diameter and 2" wider wheels with good tyres are a must and will help stop locking the wheels and should not hang out the body line depending on the wheel offset, of course if you intend to fit ABS and go all the way expect to have a wallet full of green bills.

The VS and others bumpers have brake ducts built in, some simple flexi corrugated hose (looks like a/c under dash hose), although waterproof, add a simple bracket on the underbody to hold the hose pointed in the right direction and your away.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
chears. ive got 17x7inch rims with 235/45 profile tires and ive got standard size sloted dba rotors with bendix advance pads. i would like to up grade to the vt rotor and twin pistion caliper oneday with a one inch mater cylinder, but untill then i want to maximise the potential of what i have now and the body kit does have the ducts there and it is something that i have never really seen done, so i though id give it ago.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
digisol said:
If you want good brakes spend the extra cash for grooved / spot drilled larger dia ventilated front and back disks (unfortunately needs 17" wheels)..................Add a set of Brembo 3 piston calipers if cash is plenty and your going to have brakes better than most any top end sports car and very close to V8 supercar quality with the 3 piston Brembo calipers...............A set of cheaper good aftermarket brake disks and dual piston calipers will set you back around $1,500 or so plus a days work, add another grand for the wheels and tires, not a cheap 10 min mod..................
Just what the hell have you been reading? :w00t: you shouldn't need 17" wheels if you are putting in replacement rotors, that's the beauty of them. And where did these 3 piston brembos come from? never heard of them. maybe you saw a set with 3 pistons on one side, but wait, theres another 3 on the other side. that will give you near V8 supercar braking, if only from that aspect. as for the VT conversion, if you have the right gear there, shouldnt take you any longer than half a day, as you shouldnt need to change to the 1" vt master cylinder, the 15/16" version should be fine.