Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake fluid level question please

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Hi guys, I noticed the fluid level in my brake reservoir was only half way between the full & min markers, I checked all over the master cyclinder and all the tubes around it and there isn't any leak there, so i took off the wheels checked around the calipers and couldn't find anything there either, I haven't got any stands so couldn't go any further.
So my question is, is there a defnitate leak somewere ? the brakes fell fine at the moment, could this stuff evaporate over time ?
I don't know if I should top it up and keep an eye on it or take it to a mechanic straight away, trouble is, $$ are a bit tight on this dam pension but I know brakes are real important to.

I seen on the top of the reservoir that the brake fluid needed is HN1796, do you have to go to gmh dealer to buy it or can you get it else were.
any advise would be really appreciated.
thanks
Rony

CalaisJohn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais S2
Definately top-it-up for starters. Pop into your local auto shop and they should sort you out with the fluid. When was the last time you checked? as your pads wear they move closer to the disc, and in that way some fluid takes up the 'slack' if you know what I mean.. so that would relate to a lower fluid level. and seeing you can't find any leaks i'd say this is what has happened. All the same it is brakes so have it checked as soon as.

crazy.vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
It's normal for the reservoir to go down slowly in level after some time. This is due to the brake pads wearing down and getting thinner. If it's kept at around 50% full it should be ok. Once the pistons in the calipers are pushed back when installing new pads, the reservoir will rise in level again. The brake fluid for the car should be DOT 4.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks for your replies, I had new front pads put on about 12 months back and new back brakes done about 8 months ago. [ i know there good.]
I often glanz over at the brake reservoir and it looked ok, but looked a bit more carefully this time and noticed the level properly.
I will top it tommorow and keep an eye on it, thanks very much for your help :thumbsup:

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
look, topping up the fluid might improve the "feel" of your brakes, but I doubt it, I thought the idea of keeping it above the min level was to stop air being sucked into the hydrolic system if the fluid was allowed to slosh around, such as sudden stopping (Although it is baffled)

If you top it up, be prepared to remove some next time you replace your pads, and make sure you do or your car will be wearing it.

If my fluid starts getting low I just replace the pads, normally I pick this up before it is an issue as I do my own services every 10k

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
Thanks Dannyboy, the pads are still virtually brand new as I don't do much city driving at all, it is 99% country driving and the pads last a very long time., if the brake fluid level is suppose to be half way between max & min with very close to new pads on, I won't do anything then, just leave it well alone.
thanks for your help mate.