Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Light issues

AJC73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Hi all, I'm Having problems with my brake lights staying on. The screw in section of the switch mount was broken and was held in place by a cable tie for years and worked fine. Recently they started coming on randomly. I replaced it with a new one wich is in position correctly. Everything seemed fine except after about 10 seconds of releising the the brake pedal the lights will come back on and stay on until you press the brakes again then they will go off and come back on and stay on again. It;s not caused by any slack in the pedal, all fuses etc are fine. Can't be a short circuit because they do go off for that time just after releising the pedal. Any thoughts or ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Check wiring for shorts, check globes (I know sounds stupid) but just do it.
Then when all else fails get a auto electrician to look at it and probably find out it needs a new BCM
BCM controls so many things on a VE and it's a major source of pain to replace.

AJC73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Check wiring for shorts, check globes (I know sounds stupid) but just do it.
Then when all else fails get a auto electrician to look at it and probably find out it needs a new BCM
BCM controls so many things on a VE and it's a major source of pain to replace.
Thanks mate, yea I was hoping to find something before going down the bcm path but I reckon that is the problem.

Cheers.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If the switch is anything like that on VT-VZ, they are easy to disassemble and clean. They can get lots of grot in them.

Disconnect the switch and see if the problem persists.

Remove the switch and connect it. Press the pin in by hand and see if the fault replicates off the mount.

Reactions: Lex

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the switch is anything like that on VT-VZ, they are easy to disassemble and clean. They can get lots of grot in them.

Disconnect the switch and see if the problem persists.

Remove the switch and connect it. Press the pin in by hand and see if the fault replicates off the mount.
They are a bit different

Attachments

• 13597418.jpg
    13597418.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 90059582.jpg
    90059582.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 48

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I found this from my VE.
IMG_4496.jpeg

Not sure if I had disconnected the switch from the pedal or if it actually was this far apart

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
The problem is in these VE's and it's something I am not certain about but there is in the Tech2 software a brake pedal relearn for the BCM.
I wonder if you replace the switch if that has to be run just like the steering angle sensor needs relearning if you play with it?
I have done the steering angle relearn a few times and done the brake pedal relearn when a BCM has been programmed but I have not had anyone replace the switch so that is why I am unsure.