Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake lights in boot lid

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
are the lights in the boot lid supposed to light up when braking?

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
are the lights in the boot lid supposed to light up when braking?

Yes. Inner lights (in boot lid) are stop (upper) and reverse (lower); outer lights are stop/tail (upper) and turn signal (lower).

[Edit: This information is wrong -- see message lower down.]

Last edited:

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Mine don't light up when braking, never have

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
I stand (or actually sit) corrected. I double checked by getting my wife to put her foot on the brake, and sure enough, the boot lid light is just a tail light, not a stop light. I was confused because it's described as a "brake lamp" in the Owner's Handbook (P. 10-22). If I had looked further, I would have seen the bulb type is a W5WLL, which is just a 5 watt tail light. That'll teach me to go running off at the keyboard.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I stand (or actually sit) corrected. I double checked by getting my wife to put her foot on the brake, and sure enough, the boot lid light is just a tail light, not a stop light. I was confused because it's described as a "brake lamp" in the Owner's Handbook (P. 10-22). If I had looked further, I would have seen the bulb type is a W5WLL, which is just a 5 watt tail light. That'll teach me to go running off at the keyboard.

So would a twin element bulb fix the issue? Or I should their wiring involved?
HSV guys are saying theirs light up in the boot when braking.
But I've just installed a HSV bootlid and the wiring harnesses are identical

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Depends on how the bulb socket is wired, I suppose. The socket should be a push-fit wedge type. You could always buy a W21/5W wedge double filament bulb, fit it, and see what happens!

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
If you are looking at the wiring at the lamp base is it 2 wires or 3 wires, if 3 wires then perhaps the base is wired for brake as well. If 2 wires only then it is only wired as tail light. If three wires and you try the 21/5 light that Sir Les suggested, if it works personally I'd consider actually using LED type equivalent globe purely on the basis that if you are adding 2 more 21 Watt brake lights into the same circuit - that's near an additional 4 amps. Brake lights aren't on all the time like a tail light, but manufacturers tend to make wiring that is adequate for current draw, the wiring may be a bit on the thin side to run 4 brake lights at 21 Watts each. LED's would only be a few watts for the brake lamps, so there's no risk of the current being significantly over what the manufacturer intended for the cars wiring. Just being on the safe side here.