Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake lights not working

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
Hi all,
need help, i have a 98VT and my mums has a series 2 VT and i swapped the tail lights and as the indicaters are different i cut the bulb fittings off and changed as 1 has clear lights which orange lens and vice verser. ok when i changed them i didnt check if the black lights worked but the indicaters did so thought job done. Now i have noticed the brake lights on her car arent working, the back lights all work except the brake, ie lights, blinkers and reverse,i thought it was a blown bulb but ok, checked fuse and blown, changed ad blown again.
so can anyone let me know if by cutting and rewiring the indicaters caused this. or if not what maybe the cause.

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
The First you have to do Is go and buy two tail light harnesses from the wreckers they should just unplug and put everthing back to original, If that doesnt fix the problem check the brake switch behind the brake pedal but dont get it mixed up with the cruise control switch which is also there

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
The First you have to do Is go and buy two tail light harnesses from the wreckers they should just unplug and put everthing back to original, If that doesnt fix the problem check the brake switch behind the brake pedal but dont get it mixed up with the cruise control switch which is also there

ok, the high mount brake light in the rear window is out aswell, so dont think its the harness, the fuse keeps blowing evertime, would this be caused from a faulty harness or a dry short somewhere?

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
if the fuse is blowing everytime you put a new one in and hit the brake, youve got a dead short somewhere...

if you soldered the connections, make sure you got no bits sticking through the tape and shorting out.

-Junior-

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn auto
As said, check the joins that you have made.
If this is all good then on the drivers side of the boot, remove the carpet lining and check the wiring where it passes over the edge of the support metal to see if it has rubbed through (was a common problem).

kritter

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs calais & vs ute
vs calais brake light problems , HELP!!!

My missus vs brake lights dont work , tail lights do just the brake lights dont.
I have checked the fuse and the bulbs so i guess it must be the brake light sensor switch .
Where is this located and what does it look like ? Thanks in advance , KRITTER.

paulforaname

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS
thanks all, went to holden dealer and brought new wiring loom for back lights and now all good.$80 bucks later