Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake problem. confused!

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Brakes were spongey so I drain the fluid and refilled and bled them. Ive never done this before but I had a mate pump the pedal for me while I loosened the nipple and kept refilling the resovoir... not letting any air in. Now the cars brakes are stuck on. Wont compress at all... what have a done wrong?

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
siezed calipers or slides .. this model is know for it

you pump the pedal '

hold down the pedal

crack the bleeder a little tighten

repeat steps for all calipers .. till all air gone

how good are the pads ?

start motor the break booster valve may be stuck

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I didnt even touch the calipers and they worked fine prior to the bleeding... the pedal is firm as a rock. Doesnt compress at all.. and when the engine is running makes a hissing sound

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
if the pedal is firm its a booster problem -- hissing sound is bad

inside is a rubber diapramme and a spring

there is a non return valve on the booster ..... check that for a vaccume leak ,,could be the hiss

give it another go

Last edited:

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Man I did the rear left nipple but the rear right is stripped and I cant undo it... after doing the back left though the brakes are no longer stuck on but hardly work at all... the hiss seems to be coming from the shaft at the foot pedal. I can feel a small amount of air. But its the same sound it makes when u press really hard normally so im confused as man. Do u think maybe ive just done a shitty job of bleeding them?

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I took it for a drive and the brakes are working at like 10% power which is horrible. I also think they are stuck on about 5% because idle wont push the car without a stall... ive reinsured there seems to be no air inside the system. My rear right nipple is ruined I cant loosen it, but i did it using the hose bolt... im out of ideas. I think the booster is cactus but id be spewing if I bought a new booster and thats not the problem... I just finished a manual conversion and think I may have damaged the booster when I was doing the brake pedal. Anyway I think brake booster is my best bet

Thoughts?

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
Not an expert on this but start by checking which wheels spin freely, it might only be one wheel locking up, if that's the case then id be sorting that first, but check the vacuum hose from booster to plenum for tight connections and no tears in the hose, try to also track down the hiss if any and try to correct that issue.
If something is wrong with booster it (may be) serviceable or correctable, but not sure on that.

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Ok so now I ubderstand a bit better how that vaccuum hose thingy works... so the leak seems to be suckin air in from the footwell area of the brake booster... does that mean a seal is gone on the booster? or is it cactus? I can feel air sucking on my finger from the footwell when I compress the brake pedal. And when I let go the suctiob stops... I still cant understand why the bakes are stuck on??? Im gonna try spinning all four and see how many are on...

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Ok so tge fronts feel tighter than the backs and thats spinning both rears at the same time... id say if the rears werent running through the diff I could spin them freely. But the fronts are really tight