Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake problem. confused!

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
If it's drawing air in from the firewall side then you might need to look or feel for the leak on that side, under the dash and near the booster location, but ultimately the booster may need to come off and you should find the leak.

I don't know how it's all connected up between the pedal and the booster but something may have come off or went bust between these two, the pedal obviously engages the booster.
So likely installing a pedal or working under the dash, you might've disconnected or damaged something there, find the leak, find the problem I'd say.

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Do u think thatvleak could somehow be cause the brakes to slightly engage? I can turn the wheels by hand but takes some effort.

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
If you hear a grinding noise like pads on rotors when turning them then clearly the pistons are engaged, and the booster works the brakes so when it's got vacuum in it, it releases the brakes again, right now the vacuum is not able to build up from the leak

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Aaaaahhhh ok at last I understand lol. Thanks heaps man. Im taking the booster out now... hopefully its something simple and I can drive her tonight lol

kais3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
There's a rod from the booster that goes through the firewall that connects to the brake pedal mechanism, probably attached by a bolt, anyway where this rod goes into the booster, there's a seal on that side of the booster, this may be the problem area, can't really be anything else that would drag air out from the footwell, so check that seal, maybe hook up a vacuum cleaner on low power where the booster line connects normally and see where the leaks are.

There's 4 bolts holding the booster in on the firewall, I've never done this so if you feel confident then detach it but if possible leave everything else connected on the master cylinder etc just to test for a leak while it's slightly off the firewall.

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Yeh ive take the booster out like 4 times when I was doin the manny conversion cos I kept forggetting stuff. Im seriosuly the worst mechanic. Im a butcher by trade and i seem to be butchering my car lol. Anyway im gonna hook the booster up while its not connected and suss oit that rear seal. Cheers

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
Last edited:

stuartjudd89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Well I pulled the booster out completely and connected it to the vacuum hose. The leak is coming from the rear side... the shaft that connects to the pedal, where it goes into the booster, the leak is coming from there. I could probably craft some thing that would seal it but im not very resourceful... but there pretty cheap on ebay so I might just bite the bullet and buy one... thanks for the help guys. You helped me further understand how brake systems work and that's the best way for me to figure out how to fix something

CHEERS!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
thats ok send us all a roast or BBQ pack