Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake problem

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi. I've got an 03 ecotec berlina. Did the brake pads a few weeks ago. Bleeding this morning. When trying to do the back right there was very little oil coming out compared to the back left. I took out the bleeder and blew it out. It was clear. I had the hand brake put off too after trying with it on by mistake, which made no diff. The wheel did drop down some when the h.brake was released if that means anything. With the h.brake off only the same amount of oil came out after turning the bleeder enough. Any ideas? Gus.

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Are you pressure bleeding or drip bleeding ?
And did you start at the furtherest one being passenger rear then drivers rear then passenger front then drivers front
topping up/checking the master cylinder between bleeds.
FWIW I always used a plastic tube from the bleeder into a plastic bottle to save making a mess.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
And did you start at the furtherest one being passenger rear then drivers rear then passenger front then drivers front
FWIW I always used a plastic tube from the bleeder into a plastic bottle to save making a mess.
Thanks for your reply rambunctions. I'm doing them with a tube into a bucket and yeah i did them in the order you said. I.m undoing the bleeder and having my wife push down the pedal. I then do up the bleeder and she releases the pedal. We had to have the car running for my wife to be able to push the pedal to the floor when doing the back right and even the not enough oil was coming out compared to the left, it was too difficult with the car turned off. I hope the info I've provided might be useful.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Are you using oil or brake fluid?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Okay thats good. It might have rust in the caliper. Undo the hard line from the hose and see if brake fluid comes out. Then undo the hose and see if fluid comes out because hoses can sometimes shed rubber that then blocks them internally. If both flow well you'll need to pull the piston out of the caliper and rebuild it.
Water will sit at the lowest point in the system.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Okay thats good. It might have rust in the caliper. Undo the hard line from the hose and see if brake fluid comes out. Then undo the hose and see if fluid comes out because hoses can sometimes shed rubber that then blocks them internally. If both flow well you'll need to pull the piston out of the caliper and rebuild it.
Thanks for your reply. When you say undo the hose at those 2 points, would it be an idea to push the pedal a little at the first spot you said to undo to help the oil come out to check? Does what I asked make sense? The pads were quite low when i changed them. Maybe some **** built up in the space i pushed the piston back into? Is that possible? Thanks again.

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Hi again. I just undid the hard line and my wife couldn.t push the brake pedal very far before it stopped without the car running. With the car running she could push the pedal down all the way but it just seemed like nowhere near enough oil came out. I think maybe the hard line is blocked somewhere. Do you agree given what happened?

yz300

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt wagon
Sorry i forgot to hit reply withbmy comment above.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you don't understand what I said you should stop playing around with your brake system.