Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Rotor shims

Hgmick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Ute
Some advice Please. I have done a search found a heap of information but not quite what I am looking for. I have a VS SS series III ute with ABS which has had a VT caliper and rotor upgrade. The time has come where I need to replace a wheel bearing, I have along with the wheel bearings purchased new shim rings for the rotors. My question is the fitment of those shim rings over the hub, should they just slide on with the push of the hand or do they need to be pressed on. The Hub already has a small step toward the rear of the hub, where the rotor sits, and I cant see the shim ring going over it with out damage. do I have the incorrect shim ring or am I just doing it all wrong. thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They'll just be push on and floating like the brake disks (might take some effort depending on how much dirt/rust is on the hub surface), they're not load bearing as such just there to take up the slack of the gap. Just put it up against the step, as long as it doesn't stop you fitting the wheel properly it'll be fine.

Hgmick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Ute
Ok thanks, so the shim doesn't actually go all the way back to the hub face. Is that right, it just pushes on up to that first step.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That certainly does not sound right at all. It should be solid sandwich fit against the flat surface of the hub.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
See how the old shims are set up then just dummy fit it up, it should be pretty obvious if there's any issues or gaps that aren't supposed to be there. If worst comes to worst you can use the old shims.

Hgmick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Ute
Yes your right, I guess after thinking about it I probably knew that. I looked at the old set up and was not quite sure if I even had shims. but they are there and they are right to the back of the hub. turned to rust and look like they have become part of it. I measured the ID of the shim at 69.75mm and the Hub I am trying to slide it over at 69.80mm so not much in it but it isnt going to just slide on.
so rather than make a meal out of this I will go for a drive out to race brakes and make sure I have the right shims, before I bugger something.
cheers and thanks for the replies. Mick