Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake system drain

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I think you won't find anyone who can compare. Changing to the 27mm cylinder (if done) is generally done at same time as callipers.
That being said, with 27mm my pedal could be described as extremely firm.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I think you won't find anyone who can compare. Changing to the 27mm cylinder (if done) is generally done at same time as callipers.
That being said, with 27mm my pedal could be described as extremely firm.
Most think a bigger master cylinder will reduce pedal pressure and increase brake bite, but it has the opposite effect and dulls brake sensitivity. Size doesn't affect firmness much, but a larger master cylinder reduces pedal travel and vice versa.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Going from a 25mm to 27mm master cylinder, you'll press the brake pedal harder for the same braking force, but the pedal travel will be longer.

Size doesn't affect firmness much, but a larger master cylinder reduces pedal travel and vice versa.

RevNev - I'm confused (which is my normal state).

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
RevNev - I'm confused (which is my normal state).
With a bigger master cylinder, you need to press the pedal harder but a shorter distance than a smaller master cylinder for the same braking effect. A bigger master cylinder reduces free play from pedal off to the depression point where the brakes begin work.

Fitting a smaller master cylinder makes the brakes feel better as if you've fitted pads with more bite.

Personally, I think Holden increased master cylinder size to 27mm with Brembo's without realising the 25mm isn't on the cusp, it's massive overkill for the stock brake system. Probably the same bloke who stuffed up the Redline wheel widths and offsets!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Most think a bigger master cylinder will reduce pedal pressure and increase brake bite, but it has the opposite effect and dulls brake sensitivity. Size doesn't affect firmness much, but a larger master cylinder reduces pedal travel and vice versa.
Yes I understand that. My comment was meant to say we wont find anyone who has experienced what you are describing because no one puts the callipers on, drives, then changes the master cylinder. It's impossible to compare from a practical standpoint.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes I understand that. My comment was meant to say we wont find anyone who has experienced what you are describing because no one puts the callipers on, drives, then changes the master cylinder. It's impossible to compare from a practical standpoint.
Someone has changed to a 27mm after fitting Brembo's and driving with the 25mm, I remember the post. I think the result was, it didn't feel much different and that's possible with a boosted brake system.

What we do know, is a bigger master cylinder won't take less pedal pressure to stop the car and provide a braking upgrade as hydraulics doesn't work that way.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I did, and i can't say i noticed any significant difference , but in saying that i didn't notice any thing significant when i put the 6 pot from standard, maybe if i was racing on a track i could pick a difference.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I did, and i can't say i noticed any significant difference , but in saying that i didn't notice any thing significant when i put the 6 pot from standard, maybe if i was racing on a track i could pick a difference.
Thanks for confirming that!

Brembo and stock V8 brake feel isn't massively different at residential road speeds. Persistent high-speed braking will show the difference.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Thanks for confirming that!

Brembo and stock V8 brake feel isn't massively different at residential road speeds. Persistent high-speed braking will show the difference.
Actually, in saying that, the main reason could have been crappy pads that came with the 6 pot, i actually noticed a bigger difference when i eventually changed the pads and put Brembo ceramics which aren't the bitiest pads but were an improvement on the original pads.

Last edited: