Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

brake upgrade SSZ brakes onto VY SS?

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
There advertised 320 but i measured them and they were 330mmx32mm. Measure the ones you have?

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
There advertised 320 but i measured them and they were 330mmx32mm. Measure the ones you have?

I'm picking them up tonight i think so i will check then. Where did you get your rotors, what type are they? I did some calling around and DBA are in short supply now, will be a few weeks before they get some more.

Place 1 quoted me:
EBC x drilled and dimpled FRONT PAIR: $565
RDA slotted FRONT PAIR: $477
EBC red stuff pads FRONT PAIR: $300
EBC red stuff pads REAR PAIR: $230

Place 2 quoted me:
RDA slotted FRONT PAIR: $171
EBC red stuff pads FRONT PAIR: $191
EBC red stuff pads REAR PAIR: $152.9

Was also quoted for DBA slotted FRONT PAIR: $330

Not sure if place 2 has quoted me incorrectly or if place 1 is ripping me off...

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Sounds like place 1 quoted 343mm rotors, but then again, look at the price difference on the pads.

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Ok to confirm my rotors on my ssz brake kit are 320mm.
Guys i would like to know what exactly the difference between the SS and SSZ brake calipers are? The SSZ has to be wider i suppose to accommodate the thicker rotor, but any other differences? Is it bigger?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
4. Can i get the QFM police spec pads for the SSZ calipers? If not, should i go for Bendix ultimate pads?
Hi mate,

I answered it in my section, but I'll copy it here too for everybody else.

QFM do the DB7599 pads to suit the C5 caliper. We keep *lots* of these pads in stock as we supply them to our local Ford dealer for the 'Premium' BA Falcon upgrade which uses the same pad. They're in the same HPX performance compound as our very popular police spec pads. Also the same price, $75.

Also, for those that are serious, we also stock QFM's A1RM pads (sits roughly between EBC Red and Yellow in terms of performance), which is what we use in the rally car, and they're still fine for the road when cold. $110 for those. Just be aware that these are a semi-race pad, so brake dust and slightly higher than normal rotor wear is to be expected. And I do mean slightly higher rotor wear, with a friction co-ef of 0.48 its only slightly above a road pad, and plenty of Skyline guys run the A1RM as a daily pad and never have complained about rotor wear.

Regards,
Greg

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Also, for those that are serious, we also stock QFM's A1RM pads (sits roughly between EBC Red and Yellow in terms of performance), which is what we use in the rally car, and they're still fine for the road when cold. $110 for those. Just be aware that these are a semi-race pad, so brake dust and slightly higher than normal rotor wear is to be expected. And I do mean slightly higher rotor wear, with a friction co-ef of 0.48 its only slightly above a road pad, and plenty of Skyline guys run the A1RM as a daily pad and never have complained about rotor wear.

So the A1RM pads are a fair bit better than the police spec ones?

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
Yeah, the term 'Police Spec' just refers to the the fact that the normal VT-VZ pads cover the whole backing plate, and not 2/3 of it like they normally do. The Police Spec pads that we sell, are just QFM pads, in the HPX compound, with pad reference number DB1344, instead of the usual DB1331. Its a custom order pad that we now keep in stock due to its popularity.

The A1RM is a very high performance street pad. We run the A1RM in the rally car, and its a very good pad in the high temperature range, but also (and critical to rallying), its great from dead cold, which also makes it ideal for the street. The only trade off with the A1RM is the dust, as all pads at that level put out...

The HPX is still a great pad pad, and easily on par with Bendix Ultimate for performance, expect that the HPX doesn't have the dust and rotor wear issues typically associated with the Ultimates. They're generally more than enough for most street cars, with the A1RM being more of a semi-race pad for those that do the odd track day or sprint etc.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I'm picking them up tonight i think so i will check then. Where did you get your rotors, what type are they? I did some calling around and DBA are in short supply now, will be a few weeks before they get some more.

Place 1 quoted me:
EBC x drilled and dimpled FRONT PAIR: $565
RDA slotted FRONT PAIR: $477
EBC red stuff pads FRONT PAIR: $300
EBC red stuff pads REAR PAIR: $230

Place 2 quoted me:
RDA slotted FRONT PAIR: $171
EBC red stuff pads FRONT PAIR: $191
EBC red stuff pads REAR PAIR: $152.9

Was also quoted for DBA slotted FRONT PAIR: $330

Not sure if place 2 has quoted me incorrectly or if place 1 is ripping me off...

Don't get Red Stuff as they're race pads. They will be like concrete on the street. Green Stuff are a far better option. DBA slotted with Green Stuff pads will be more than sufficient. I only did fronts but the difference was still amazing.

Zingazinga

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra lx8
so do the ssz calipers and the avalanche 336 rotors bolt strait on to the adventra with the hbd shims thanks