Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Break failure??

SUSVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PAC
Hey Guys today I was driving into blacktown and I went to pull up to a set of lights and my breaks went all soft and wouldn't work, they have been fine since I brought it and all of a sudden it happened out of no where, I left the car for about 20 minutes and got back in and they were fine all the way home, has anyone had this before?? What caused this? What could it be?
Any advice is good guys

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
could be any number of things... check all the brake lines for leaks, check the rotors, calipers and pads for anything that shouldnt be there... if that doesnt work take it to a mechanic and see if he can find a problem

could be a master cylinder or servo to

SUSVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PAC
I had a quick look and everything seems fine, I don't understand how it can sit for 20 minutes and then be fine again

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
I'd say its heat related giving that it was fine once you let it sit... whats the condition of your brake fluid?

calais06

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais MY06
Ive had this happen. Old brake fluid + low pads meant the fluid was boiling and giving no brake.. Straight to the floor, once I let it sit for 20min or so would work..

Id check ur pads / fluid.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
flush and bled the brake fluid , this should be done every two years or if the vehicle is used for heavy towing then more often .

valeriy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore s1
what calais06 said!! happened to me too!! but i also had a leaking master cylinder and fluid was heaps contaminated!! bleed your whole system including ABS and probably new pads!!

UW1SH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5speed With ecotec conversion
Ive had this happen. Old brake fluid + low pads meant the fluid was boiling and giving no brake.. Straight to the floor, once I let it sit for 20min or so would work..

Id check ur pads / fluid.

id agree with this guy i just finished a cert 2 in automotive mechanics and i studyed this.. it could be shitty old brake fluid which boiling point lowers heaps. and yeh low pads if i was you give the whole brake system a good flush and fill with good quality brake fluid and decent set of pads..

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I have a fault with my ABS in my VS and it will let the pedal travel to the floor with no brakes so I de commissioned the ABS as it is way too dangerous.
It does not set a fault code as the system thinks it is functioning correctly.

FYI a break every 20min is too much IMO.