Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breaklights not working

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
You could of put the globe in backwards, Try putting it in.. in another angle? I'm fairly sure there's only 1 way they go in.. and if you put them in wrong.. only 1 light will work..
but if your referring you got problems with your VP? then might be a loom problem if its anything like the VNs
Id honestly try putting the globe in different ways.. if that doesnt work.. Get a test light and test the connections.. If you go no expierence with wiring.. Id highly suggest either a auto elec or holdens/ wreckers for a new loom

Vp stocko

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 1
Where do i start lookin for the wires, all boot wires are fine

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
could of blown another bulb - had the problem once where one filament blew and laid against another causing "by-pass" situation.........just another thought....??

ybl8te

Reaction score
Members Ride
calis vn v8
buy a can of electrical clean and spray all connection also, vn-vp's get water in the boot then evaporate causing corrosion inside the holders.....bit of coincidence or timing with your problem but, its also good to do too preserve the holders for the future, preventative maintenance sorta thing- also you can rule these common problems out !

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Powering all brake lights, plus ALL Parker lights (including instrument cluster) through one or two bridges contacts? There's a good chance something got hot..

2*brake @ 20w each (not including eye level if fitted)
4*Parkers (2 red 2 clear) @ 5w each
2*rego light @ 5w each
6*instrument (minimum, probably more) lights @ 5w each
Total draw of 100w or more (9 amps easy)

Anyways, yes I agree it could be a number of other things, but I'm thinking what those bridged contacts may have done...

It would have blown the fuse before melting any wiring

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
It would have blown the fuse before melting any wiring

Not always, I've seen plenty of instances where a current below the fused rating has melting wires and fittings.
It's usually when there is a bottle neck in the circuit, or sustained load. Particularly on older connectors...
It's the old "I put 100w globes in and they didn't fry a fuse but all my wiring has melted, WTF?" scenario...

Anyways, as far as OP situation is concerned it could be a number of things, and we're all making suggestions. Hope OP gets a multimeter and finds out what's wrong...

Anthraxnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive
My Mates old VL was having issues with Park \ Dash lights.
On inspection of the fuse it appeared fine, only after pulling the whole thing apart, i took a closer look at the fuse and it had failed.
By failed i mean, the surrounding plastic had melted and bloated out but the wire inside did not break so it appeared fine.

My suggestion would be to replace all the fuses for the lights in question and then see if that makes any difference. Re-check and see if any have blown.

Random idea:
Remove all bulbs, Tail, park and then test the sockets with a multimeter or test light (preferably multimeter as it will give a better indication of a weak circuit) if you dont have one i suggest you go and buy one they're about $20NZD at DSE.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Mate remove the rear looms, they are only 20 cm long, trace and test each wire in the loom from the plug to the bulb holder with your multimeter and go from there.
Do this first, these things are notorious for corroding. You won't know where you stand until this is sorted out and IMHO 90% chance of fixing your probs just with this.

Defected

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline S1 Wagon
I did this as well a few months back. Ended up blowing the ECU

Considered checking the wires around the ecu as well, may help you.