Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Breathalyzer - Brands?

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hi Guys

Basically I am after a breathalyzer so that the morning after going out with my mates or to a party I can know when my BAC is at 0.00 (P-Plater) and therefore my judgement will not be impaired. Main reasons for wanting one is:

1. Not to endanger others or myself on the roads
2. Not to loose my license for DUI if I think I am right to drive the next day

Does anyone have one and can comment on there effectiveness? How often it needs to be calibrated etc?

I am willing to spend up to about $200 on one, but hopefully a little less.

All advice i greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Luke

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I was also nerves the following day after a new years first drink up for myself. To be safe i didn't drive until the night:D..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Good on you mate. I do hope that you carry on with the no drink and drive/ 0 blood alcohol principle when you attain your full license :)

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey Mate.

First of all good on you for making sure you & everyone else is safe. To Be honest i would not cheap out on it just to be sure its accurate.
I would buy from a Aussie Web site as its more likely to match our standard.
Check out this site.
Breathalysers Portable, AL6000, AL7000 Zenith, AL9000, AL4000, AL3100

I would go for this - AL6000 Breathalyzer Australia AS3547 Certified Breathalyser

Cheers, thanks mate. The AL9000 looks pretty good I reckon. I have sent them an email regarding it. Haven't heard back from them yet, so hopefully there on Holidays from the new year and haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for the info though

I was also nerves the following day after a new years first drink up for myself. To be safe i didn't drive until the night:D..
Lol agree with you there. That's what made me want to get one, so I know when I am back down to 0.00 BAC. A local in town was done for DUI when driving to work one Saturday morning for being 0.057 and that was a while after his last drink

Good on you mate. I do hope that you carry on with the no drink and drive/ 0 blood alcohol principle when you attain your full license :)
Thankyou, I hope that I do to. I've recently turned 18 and can see how quickly a schooner or two changes your mindset and judgement even the slightest bit. Makes me well aware of it that's for sure and it always runs through my mind.

Having a beer after work with the boys and then being able to drive would be good though :)

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
whatever you do do NOT buy anything from jaycar.

Last year while backpacking and on P plates ( i was backpacking in a car lol) I bought their top of the line model. They let me test it in the shop it acclimatizes to the surroundings, calibrates etc and the morning i bought i'd had a massive night out and it still read me as .06 so i figured it was pretty good and bought it, should have noticed then that I didnt feel intoxicated... i've pretty much found the thing to be an unreliable piece of trash.

I had my brother in law who's a traffic cop to take a look at it and he pretty much confirmed it was crap..... he also recommends not touching ANY of these, he says even the cop ones F**k up quite frequently and give false safes, the current models we have in SA are still the straw blow models and we're starting to get the new sensor ones, I was gonna buy one of these models anyway but he told me not to ever risk trusting one of these, the one he recommended is about $700.00

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Lol agree with you there. That's what made me want to get one, so I know when I am back down to 0.00 BAC. A local in town was done for DUI when driving to work one Saturday morning for being 0.057 and that was a while after his last drink
You sound like a pretty smart cookie ;) ... And that bloke who got done that would suck. Now i'm curious at how long the drink takes to fully leave the system?.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You sound like a pretty smart cookie ;) ... And that bloke who got done that would suck. Now i'm curious at how long the drink takes to fully leave the system?.

On average (this is hugely dependant on the individual) your liver metabolises about one standard drink an hour.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
On average (this is hugely dependant on the individual) your liver metabolises about one standard drink an hour.
I might have been safe about 4pm?.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I might have been safe about 4pm?.

Again every person is different. I've seen massive unit guys who can't handle thier piss for ****. And I've seen small petite girls do a man proud. It all comes down to how much alcohol your liver can filter.