Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Ignition spring? Key doesn't spring back when starting car...

ch1mp

Reaction score
If you have a valid reason for requiring my locati
Members Ride
VT S-Pack 3.8L Supercharged
OK so I started my car one day and felt a "snap" come through the key. I figured it was the spring in the igniton barrel because ever since then whenever I start my car I have to manually turn the key back to the "II" position as it won't spring back on its own. Also since that happened, whenever I start my car the traction, ABS, airbag, engine and oil lights all come on as well as the thermo fans and the engine temp needle never leaves the standby (or the 0) position. I should mention I had a mate connect his scanner to my car and found no errors.

So today I got the new barrel and put it in. Easy enough. Didn't fix the problem. I still have to turn the key back and all the warning lights and thermo fans still come on.

HELP! The part I installed is the key and barrel. Is there another spring inside the column somewhere that the barrel connects into which is connected to some sensors or something and THAT'S what springs the key back?

Possibly a broken piece of old ignition barrel still stuck inside which is preventing proper movement of the new barrel? I stuck a torch in there and didn't see anything loose....Thoughts please!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You need a new ignition switch, the part that the ignition barrel slots into. You need to remove the barrel and then the switch to replace it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remove the barrel, disconnect the wiring from the switch, remove the retaining screw on the switch then tilt the switch sideways to disengage the roll pin on the switch from the lock cylinder body. Then you should be able to pull it off.
As far as I know that shouldn't affect the sensors, it sounds more like a faulty ABS module.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
You don't have to remove the barrel to get the swıtch out.Once you remove the side pin it'll pop out.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I put the new switch in and that fixed my key issue. Too easy. Thanks guys! But al my warnings are still there :( I guess a new thread will be started for that.
Glad you got switch fixed.
As I said earlier your warning lights sound like a faulty ABS module. Disconnect the wiring plug from the module and if the oil light goes out then it is almost certainly the ABS module.