Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Power Supply

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
In my VT the power supply or cigarette lighter is broken, which poses a problem cos they are just so handy for my phone and GPS. Anyway, I have no idea what is wrong except that a while ago when an adapter was pulled out of the power supply the supply insert came out too, not all the way just a little bit to make it loose, it may be a broken wire but I'm unable so look behind it to find out, any help on how I can remove any inside panels or facias to get behind the power supply would be really great, thanks.
Dan

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You have to remove the consul cover. 2 screws either side of the socket you are referring to, then lift the rear of the surround ( where the power window switch is, or the coin tray if you don't have power windows). You will have to pull it up hard because it is clipped in. If you have the power window switch you may need to remove that first because it can prevent the consul from being lifted up enough. I know it's like that with mine. You can lever the switch out with care, use a rag to prevent damage while levering.
Also check the fuse because it may have blown.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
You haven't just blown a fuse by any chance??

Pablo

bradvt98

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 vt executive
yeah i'd check the fuse first dude if it isn't it'll be a pain in the arse you'll have take it all out and re solder the wire on but i can't see the wire coming off though you would of had to rip it out pretty hard for that to happen

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
Hey guys thanks for the help. regarding the fuse, which one do I check? is there a diagram some where in the car? thanks again.
Dan

DumpedVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2 Clubsport, Astra J turbo, VN Ls1,
if you pull down the cover under the steering wheel,

there is a diagram on the back of the cover, and the fusebox is on the dash.

find the cig lighter one and you will be set.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
if its not the fuse id say the hex nut has either come off and its not grounding nemore or the ground wire has broken off. wen i 1st purchased my VT it was the same as urs all i had 2 do was tighten the hex nut behind the 12V supply and it worked.

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
Hey all, just giving you an update. Checked the fuse and what do you know! a blown fuse... so I changed it and now the power supply works fine! Thanks so much guys I would have pulled the whole facia off and the problem only would have been a fuse. Now i just gotta wait and see if blows again... thanks again.
Kind regards,
Dan

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
Hey all, the fuse blew again the other day, the hex nut was loose again, could this have cause the fuse to blow it the nut was loose and came in contact with another metal surface? I just wanna make sure its not a more serious electrical problem. Thanks.
Dan

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
If the power wire to the socket touches any oyher metal part, it will blow the fuse again. This is to protect the wire from burning out.