Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken VK

B

bluevkowner

Hey im new here.

Ok here goes. My vk has been off the road for nearly two weeks. Its a 5 speed manual, when changing gears mostly 1st - 2nd, 2nd - 3rd, and i think 3rd - 4th when it revs too high it wants to die. Basically the timing isnt advancing

She idles fine, but when you rev her, she struggles and is back firing a little. (it has EST) So far we have replaced Distributor cap, spark plugs and leads, manifold vacum sensor, fuel filter. We have adjusted a little on teh timing to get her to idle but theres a miss in it somewhere.

Can anyone please shed some light on this problem, I dont want to have to take it to ultra tune or somewhere like that without trying to fix it myself

I appreciate any help or hints.

Melanie

Further update, its driving not too badly, but yeah i still think its pretty ruff, she isnt adjusting the timing at certain level of revs also making a weird noise when foot is on clutch and when its not. First time my car has caused me grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rattattack1313

hm....

hm...where abouts u live then???? if in brizz ican visit and have a look for ya...... :D .

Grunter

Reaction score
If the car is still running EST then you can't adjust the timing at all (well not by moving the dizzy cap), the computer sets the timing to 6 deg and thats it. If you move the dizzy cap it will adjust the timing, but then the computer will re-adjust it back to 6 deg. But the timing is changed (i think its slightly retarded) when over a certain percentage of throttle is used via a switch with 2 connectors on it, on the side of the carby.

There is a sensor at the back of the head that you can easily swap that is used by the computer to do the timing. But i thought they either work or they dont, and my one had a bit of a fight with my flywheel and still worked after that.

B

bluevkowner

bluevk owners where abouts

Im actually in melbourne unfortunately.

Its now driveable though but just, some how along the line when your foot is on the clutch its fine, when you take it off, its making a bad noise. I only started driving it today, im going to take it to ultra tune tomorrow morning, hopeing they can fix it. It was bought to my attention that i replace they ignition coil.

whats your experience with EST?

rattattack1313 said:
hm...where abouts u live then???? if in brizz ican visit and have a look for ya...... :D .

Grunter

Reaction score
I've had my vk for just over 2 years now and its been running the EST the whole time and hasnt had any problems. The only thing it did do was throw a code for the coolant sensor when i drained the radiator and put fresh coolant in a while ago, but that went away after a few days. I've had the car down the 1/4 and on the dyno and its has performed nicely running the EST.... Although the car is stock internally. I've been told if your going to do some work to the engine that its best do get rid of the EST.

I have just converted to EFI though, so no longer running it. But i didnt seen any reason to change from EST. Biggest problem i had was with the carby :p

B

bluevkowner

Vk! Hmmmm

Ok, now, here goes. It seems that we have eliminated the ignition system and the whole EST caper **** stuff. I was told from ultra tune today, there is not enough fuel getting thru, BULLSHIT! Replaced fuel pump, NO CHANGE! My father pulled out the carby today and my father is not a mechanic but this is what he feels it to be, but he n eeds to see another vk carby to see if he is right on this, ANY TAKERS IN MELBOURNE?

The secondary barrells/ throats arent opening when they should not until mechanical part of it all. So basically they open when my foot is flat to the floor which shouldnt be happening. Anyone of some help here?

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk commodore sl
on a varijet which is what u should have, the secondary system is suppose to open 2/3 throttle when the choke has fully opened. i find with my commodore if the choke is not fully open after running it for 10 mins out and about, it will sumtimes open the secondaries at full throttle. (probably the little lock out lever-connected to choke, getting stuck on the secondary linkage). the chokes can be problems with these carbies, mine is ok, but sumtimes it can play up.

hope that can help,

Cam

B

bluevkowner

I will talk to my dad and let him know, see what he says. Do you know if it can be fixed?

Grunter

Reaction score
If you pulled out the carby, the carby is probably cool and has its choke set for cold start, which means it will lock out the opening of the 2nd throat.

Maybe the carby needs reconditioning, cost about 200-300 i think....