Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brown small cookie size spots in radiator cap

trekking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
Little spots of oil about a pin head are appearing in radiator coolant.
Is this just a valley gasket problem? I losing a fair bit of coolant too, does that mean the coolant leaking into the block and the oil leaking into the coolant lines?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Intake gaskets normally present as a brown sludge under the radiator cap. This might be a touch worse. Pull the plugs and look for coolant fouling.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Check the trans dipstick too.

Bay 13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT.
If you're losing that much coolant then the top of your oil cap will be creamy, if not then it's probably the intake manifold gasket leaking and running out the exhaust, if you do relace the gaskets and see any pitting on the face you can give it a good clean and remove any corrasion and then use JB-Weld to fill the pitting, then use fine 1500 wet and dry to smooth it out once hard.
If its trans fluid, then new radiator. If neither could be the radiator cap not holding coolant.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it bubbling out of the radiator when running.

What do you consider a lot of coolant?
If you're losing that much coolant then the top of your oil cap will be creamy, if not then it's probably the intake manifold gasket leaking and running out the exhaust, if you do relace the gaskets and see any pitting on the face you can give it a good clean and remove any corrasion and then use JB-Weld to fill the pitting, then use fine 1500 wet and dry to smooth it out once hard.
If its trans fluid, then new radiator. If neither could be the radiator cap not holding coolant.
Loosing coolant does not equal creamy oil cap if the coolant is going straight into a cylinder.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a difference between bubbling and pushing coolant out of the radiator though.

commodoredave

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt
Little spots of oil about a pin head are appearing in radiator coolant.
Is this just a valley gasket problem? I losing a fair bit of coolant too, does that mean the coolant leaking into the block and the oil leaking into the coolant lines?
The head gasket will likely see an obvious loss of power as compression is lost. In the situation described and on balance of probability it will be the lower manifold gasket(s) as the source of the problem. This is not particularly urgent provided coolant is not seeping into the oil. if drops of oil are getting into the coolant it is likely the gasket is in the early stages of degradation and not a matter of super urgency but definitely put it on your list of things to do. Also, take off the plastic engine top cover and look around the rocker cover gaskets edges and check for signs of coolant leakage there as this will also suggest lower manifold gasket issues.

trekking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
I have suspected water in the exhaust as I has a weird smell to it like metalicky and fair bit of mist.
I did the lower manifold gasket before but used a ebay gasket.
Anyone know where I can get a good gasket from