Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buick to ecotec manual conversion

daniel199260

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 SII
So I've put an ecojet into my factory manual vr exec, while using the T5 and manual Buick loom and computer, did some reading up, made all the necessary mods to the loom to suit the jet, after weeks, I finally started it, fired up no worries, but is running rough as guts, revs won't drop below 1500-2000, and has a fair miss to it,
So what do I do from here? Anyone know? Or am I better off chasing down a vs T5 manual loom and computer?
Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you have the tune adjusted to suit the ecotec engine as the fuelling and ignition requirements are quiet different.

Is the CEL coming on? Have you checked for fault codes?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You have two problems at the moment.

1. You're using a Buick flywheel on an Ecotec, they are balanced differently. You're probably going to have a massive vibration when it drives.
2. Using Ecotec with Buick gear/tune.

You've got two options as far as the Buick gear goes.

1. Have Delcowizzid or The1 burn you a tune so that you can run an Ecotec with the BUICK ECU and loom.
2. Use VS loom and ECU and have a no VATS tune burnt. You can convert an auto ECU to pick up the T5 sensor (don't buy the ebay ones, they're trash).

Or ultimate option no. 3 - Get another Buick.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have an ecotec running sweet in a VR with my modified loom and VR ECU. The ECU does have a greenfoam chip in it for a stock VR with no mods. Car has stockies on it and will get tyre spin on most road surfaces ans especially off the lights when flooring the throttle.

To the OP - Sounds like you may have other issues. Did the ecotec motor run ok before? Check coils, plugs and leads for missing issue. Any manifold vacuum leaks and all unused holes plugged up.

daniel199260

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000 SII
You have two problems at the moment.

1. You're using a Buick flywheel on an Ecotec, they are balanced differently. You're probably
going to have a massive vibration when it drives.
2. Using Ecotec with Buick gear/tune.

You've got two options as far as the Buick gear goes.

1. Have Delcowizzid or The1 burn you a tune so that you can run an Ecotec with the BUICK ECU and loom.
2. Use VS loom and ECU and have a no VATS tune burnt. You can convert an auto ECU to pick up the T5 sensor (don't buy the ebay ones, they're trash).

Or ultimate option no. 3 - Get another Buick.

Hi rjk, I've gone with option 2, traveled half way cross the country and payed an arm and a leg but finally found a T5 manual PCM and loom, everything was plug and play, went to start it and no bingo, just wouldn't fire, my mate bought around his PCM out of his VR with an ecotec in it and said if this works, I need my computer tuned, sure enough, it fired straight up. So assumed it's the No VATS you were talking about, got the VATS removed with a small bench tune, got the PCM back, Tryee to start it, it actually fired for 1 second then stalled... Started. Stalled about 3 times. Now won't fire at all,
Asked around and some people are saying o need to get the BCM communicating with the PCM, but I thought that's what the no vats was for, so they don't have to communicate,
Any ideas?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Asked around and some people are saying o need to get the BCM communicating with the PCM, but I thought that's what the no vats was for, so they don't have to communicate,

BCM/ECU linking was a VT thing that doesn't exist on the VR/VS. If that was the case it wouldn't have started in the first place.

You can try it with your mates ECU again and see if it fails. If it does that eliminates your ECU from the equation and the problem is somewhere else.