Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Building a sub box- must be compact

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Hey I'm making a subwoofer box for woodwork at skool... looking to put a 10in or 12in sub (havent bought it yet) and want to know if these dimensions are good. Look at the attached pic for a diagram. Using 18mm MDF.

Matty

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,356

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Too big for a 10 unless it's a ported 10. Besides, you don't realy know what size you need until you buy the sub and know how many litres the box needs tobe.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
But in general is it OK?

Bleaaargh

Its because i scream alot
Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VU Auto, Saweeet.
hey, where do you get the grey feltish material to chuck on the outside, i need some. didnt find any in bunnings, and ive looked....in bunnings lol.

warney

did you say bukakki party
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL skid car what else are they built to do
or go to jb hifi @ indro and ask the bloke nicely... i got mine for my for free!!!

buy yes felt style @ a shop @ mt ommaney 2 doors up from price attack ...and its $6 a mt there where at spot lite they have this other sit and its $24 + per metre !!!!

Jesk

registered lunatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
96 ef2 fairmont
matty_da_one said:
Hey I'm making a subwoofer box for woodwork at skool... looking to put a 10in or 12in sub (havent bought it yet) and want to know if these dimensions are good. Look at the attached pic for a diagram. Using 18mm MDF.

You gotta use the specifications for the sub on for its air cushion for the best sound, so buy the sub first or, if thats too much of a stretch since its for a school project, make a choice and get them to put it on hold, and note down the volume it requires for a sub box then work from there. That will get you the best performing sub. youre design looks pretty generic but sound so if you want to work from that work out the volume and then shorten the box design if you go with the 10 incher, so that you have the right cushion of air. But anything real hard with car audio you have the right person checking out your post in 12voltking :king: (dont worry mate im not gonna turn on ya again ;) )

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
Im looking at putting a small 8 inch sub behind the seats in my ute, ive seen it done before. because i will be building the boxes myself, what is the minimum sized box i could have because there isnt alot of room back there. does the design of the box matter to sound quality, and would it be worthwhile porting them?

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Look at the datasheet for the specific sub you are looking at getting. 12” subs are usually around 1cubic foot to I would expect it to be less than that.

A ported box will be about 2x as big as a sealed enclosure.

Have a look on the forum, I think there is a few threads started concerning subs in utes