Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Built my own LS1 OTR CAI

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Hey Guys, Started a little project to keep myself entertained over the weekend. Decided to build myself a OTR CAI for my WH LS1. I aimed to built an OTR that I can run with a MAF, but also take off later if I wanted to.

First up I did alot of measuring, trials with pieces of cardboard etc just to gauge how much room I have to play with. I also had a look at a few other OTRs on the net to see roughly how they all sat.

What I ended up with in the end was this "prototype":

A couple shots showing the OTR prototype installed in the car:

Remember, Safety First!

Next I cut the shapes I needed out of 0.6mm sheet metal with a jig saw and bent to shape (don't have any photos of this stage) but here is a mock up of it all sitting together:

Next I started to weld up the sheet metal. Note, I have never welded ANYTHING before and this is my first attempt using my old mans MIG welder with the aid of YouTube videos for advice:
Bottom Half Done

Top Half welded on and test fit the K&N Filter:

Rear Plate welded on with 100mm pipe attached:

Just need to drill a hole to fit the Air Temp sensor into the back of it, and maybe weld some tabs onto either side to secure it down (I don't like how other ones sit free) Other than that, maybe some heat insulating padding on the bottom to help keep it cool.
Plan to get this powder coated and should look pretty good!

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Nice work mate! Prop for designing and making this yourself rather than just buying it.

Looks alright, looks like it will do the job.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Thanks! Took me a good 12 hours + though, at least it kept me busy!

enroh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS UTE, 69 CAMARO!
Good onya champ... there's no greater feeling than accomplishing something on your car yourself, rather than buying it... that looks the goods to champ...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Loving it. What is the bonnet clearance like? It "should" hold itself inplace like that, and with the lip over the radiator/condensor it shouldnt walk anywhere. Also test it to makesure that it is airtight everywhere except where the filter sits, otherwise it will suck air in and bypass the filter.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Thanks for the comments guys. It pretty much just cleared the bonnet when I checked with the prototype, but i honestly haven't checked the final version yet. Cars off being repaired at the moment (kind of maybe hit a small pole... whoops). It's all pretty much air tight. Only place i can see that lets any light through is the rear plate i welded in the rear picture, but thats because i havent finished yet. Im hoping that once i take it in to get powder coated (once ive checked it all fits fine) it will seal her right up :)

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
Looks good, top job.

Stevothedevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II MY12 SSV Redline
I'm a first class sheetmetal worker by trade and that's a damn fine job of welding 0.6 sheet steel, no blow holes. Just watch out for the fumes coming off the zinc it's not the best for you.
Very well done!!
You can make mine next?? lol
Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Job well done.

I will suggest a modification though. Look at the surface area of the filter, then look at the narrower section where it goes over the radiator. Ideally, you should have made the OTR wider at that point so it actually flows the same volume of air through the narrower gap.

If you look at a few off the shelf OTR's you will see they are wider at that point for that reason.

1van

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
Great job mate! Im looking into doing something similar myself soon!! Keep up the good work!