Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

burning rubber smell in engine bay

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

WTB: VS SS (VIC)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
hey guys,

i own a vt calais.. it's not supercharged it's just the stock v6..

the other day my battery died, i brought a new one and dove to work with out any problems but 2 days later i drove to work and when i parked up i noticed smoke coming out from under the bonnet.. i pooped the bonnet to have a look and it was coming from the drivers side near the fan belt.. and i really strong burning rubber smell..

i drove home in the afternoon, no smoke but still the burning smell when i got home.. i parked the car for an hour and later went to go out and get pizza, and the car wouldnt turn over as if the battery was dead.. it was a new battery.. and when i got home the battery was compltly dead i couldnt open the doors, and had to crawl through boot again..

i've removed the belt and all the pullys spin ok besides the crank..

was just wondering what this burning rubber smell could be? any help would be good i'm suppose to be going away next week and leave the misus the car so i need to fix it really bad..

thanks in advance..

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Is possibly A siezed alternator or water pump? ,Explains why your belt is slipping to the point its starting to burn and the dead battery

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
yeah thought it might be the alternator, gonna go out tomara and buy a new alternator, fan belt, and the 3 pulleys.. and the new battery is currently back on charge..

was just a bit worried was reading about a rubber crankshaft pully or some thing? just went and checked it and it doesnt sem to be damaged or cracked or any thing..

when removing the 3 pulleys i got the 2 high ones easy but the lowest one on the passenger side is beeing a %^&*.. i've sprayed it with wd40 hope fully it'll fall off in the morning..

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
hey mate, just thought id add my 2 cents into this, i had almost the same problem with my ed falcon, the pullet siezed up on the aircon belt, turned aircon on, smlet rubber, only worked out what it was wen the belt snapped, take off your belts, put your hand on each of the pullys in ur enigne bay and try and give them a soft turn, they should move with absolute ease, if not, yea il go with the siezed up problem, i replaced mine for $35 from Parts Boys.

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
just brought the 3 new pulleys, a new alternator, and fan belt.. gonna put it back together tomara and see what happens..

235rwkw

Reaction score
could have just taken the belt off and checked what pulleys are stuffed instead of buying everything.

ViN3Y

V!N3Y
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
97 HSV Clubsport
there was a thread like this a while ago....
i think they were saying the problem ended up being a loose wire to the alternator or something ill c if i can dig it up and send you a linkou may be able to find it be4 me in the vt section

s_t_r_e_t_c_h

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS Commodore
just brought every thing cause it's my reliable car.. and my 300zx is more reliable at the moment.. lol

will be fitting it all up tomara night will let you all know if it works..