Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

busted front strut - ok to still drive with for a couple of weeks?

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What, because someone isn't scared by the mechanics trying to make a dollar or ACA my advice is invalid?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
soop, my grandson was killed in a smash a few weeks ago and the offending 4x4 had sus brakes. Are you really saying that it is OK to drive a vehicle with crappy suspension on public roads? And that anybody who wants other people to drive safe vehicles are pansies? My thinking is that it is people with attitudes like yours are responsible for a lot of misery. By the way there were 423 people at the service. I am sure they would like to hear your thoughts on the subject

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
How about you catch the bus and don't drive the F'ing car it's not hard, or get a lift with someone else.

Borrow some money from a family member, I mean how hard is it to borrow enough money to buy some replacement shocks, even if they are second hand.

soop this is the best advice you could have given the O/P but you went for the most stupid answer, don't try to say your right this time as you are not.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
Ehhh what a drainer of he thread.

Moral Victories vs. Real Life Reality

No ones gonna win this one.

aZk.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
aZk, I do not know what you are getting at but I do not think I am looking for a win. Losing a 10 year old grandson to some wanker who can't afford to maintain their car but wants to drive it anyway is not my idea of a win!

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I say change it now or sooner. If you are going to do the wrong thing and drive it, sit back give yourself heaps of room and don't go flat out. But I am not trying to validate driving an vehicle on the roads that you know is not up to the job.

to those who do say drive it anyway, whilst I do understand there are realities to deal with, what if the OP has an accident that is not even his fault. If they find the strut, it's game over as far as insurance paying out, and the OP could be off to the bighouse for neg driving or killing someone. Once you know something like this has happened, get it fixed don't mess around putting it off. You just don't know when your next emergency brake may be.

Also I think it is a little different driving around in the country vs some narrow city streets.

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
I can see your on a tight budget...and see both sides of the argument.
ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTION..
Sure ..if you drive it you probably will be ok
however
If the worst happens and you damage property or even worse people
What would be the cost ???

Basically...spin the wheel of fortune and prey your number dont come up.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
ehhhhhhhh.....
The wonky strut isn't going to shear off and make him plow into some unsuspecting pregnant woman. It'll be fine to potter around to get to work. Just replace it ASAP.

Fuggin scare mongerers.

bazza13

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss 5.0
soop you have obviously got the brain of a chocolate fish, nah thats being mean to the fish, for god sake boy GROW UP! and listen to all these guys that know more than you, my god your'e annoying!