Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

But can it power a second sub?

Mick243

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Thunder Ute
Hey guys,

Just a super quick question, I currently have a 4 ohm Type S sub powered by a Alpine MRX-M55 amp, which produces 350W RMS at 4 ohm and 550W RMS at 2 ohm.

I honestly don't understand it all that much and if someone could take the time to explain it to me I would be extremely grateful, however the question I wanted to ask was could I power a second Type S? would I need to get a 2 ohm sub or can I only use two 4 ohm subs? And if I could power said second sub would it split the power evenly, thus resulting in multiple weak subs in which case the single would be more effective?

If it matters its currently in a VE Series II ute.

Anyway Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate your advice :)

Oh and on a side note, how much difference does a line out converter make?

Anyway haha, Thanks :)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If you have the 4-ohm dual voice coil Type S, you will be very marginally better off going a second.

If you have a 2-ohm dual voice coil sub, a second will be a good upgrade.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hey guys,

Just a super quick question, I currently have a 4 ohm Type S sub powered by a Alpine MRX-M55 amp, which produces 350W RMS at 4 ohm and 550W RMS at 2 ohm.

I honestly don't understand it all that much and if someone could take the time to explain it to me I would be extremely grateful, however the question I wanted to ask was could I power a second Type S? would I need to get a 2 ohm sub or can I only use two 4 ohm subs? And if I could power said second sub would it split the power evenly, thus resulting in multiple weak subs in which case the single would be more effective?

If it matters its currently in a VE Series II ute.

Anyway Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate your advice :)

Oh and on a side note, how much difference does a line out converter make?

Anyway haha, Thanks :)
Have a look at this.....Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams (SVC= Single Voice Coil & DVC= Dual Voice Coil).
Go down to the bottom of the page of the above link and there, you can select the set up you have and/or want.
It will explain it all for you.
It makes for very good reading.

Mick243

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Thunder Ute
Thanks for both of your quick replies, my general conscious is that unless I got a second amp it would be pointless, speaking of, If I were to go that route could the amps be bridged together or would I need to re-run wires to the head unit?

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Depends on what you're referring to when you say 'bridged' man. The remote, ground and power wire should be right to just use off distro blocks, assuming they're large enough gauge for two amps. you can used splitters for the RCA signal, or if the amps can do it, output the signal with RCA's from one amp to the other. Running two subs off two amps can be tricky though. You really need to use the same model amps. Then you can just make sure they're putting out the same power and they should be fine. Some people do this by making sure the gains are set the same, but that is not accurate. you'd be better off checking the amp output when hooked up with a multimeter, and then changing the gain settings to make sure they're outputting exactly the same voltage.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
You don't get a massive gain from 2 subs really. I had 4 subs on my first install, took it down to 2 as I was having issues running my amp at 1ohm. When I got rid of that set up I went to 1 good quality sub, it sounded so much better.

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
You don't get a massive gain from 2 subs really. I had 4 subs on my first install, took it down to 2 as I was having issues running my amp at 1ohm. When I got rid of that set up I went to 1 good quality sub, it sounded so much better.
I would agree. Ive always ran 2x12" in various cars and different brands. Latest setup had an Alpine Typr r single 12" in factory box....sounded every big as good and just as loud as 2x12s

Timmah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
^^^^ What they said :) I've had people think I have two 12's in my car when they hear it (single 12).

Mick243

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Thunder Ute
Might just take your advice and leave it at the one sub, spend my money on better things for the car haha :)
But thanks for everyone's help, at least I know now :D

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
Try a higher powered dvc sub, the type s and a small box is pretty limited, decent sub works wonders.