Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a Series II VE Calais

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
I'm considering buy a series II VE Calais (built 2011) to replace my missus's little Accent which is about to give up the ghost. I saw one for private sale... 98,000 kay on the ODO, clean as a whistle and the services all recorded in the service book. Because I've heard horror stories about the VE and timing chain issues, etc... I am a bit worried about taking one on but the condition of this one is really lovely and it has a nice colour as well. I've done the normal checks; trans oil colour, oil colour on the dipstick, checking for noise on a cold start...everything seems okay. Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The Series 2 didn't have the same issues at Series 1, as I have read in some threads,
Being 98,000 k's on the clock, you will have plenty of k's to travel before doing the Timing Chains, pending the service history is legit,
But never the less, its not a hard job to do if its need,
if you can spin a spanner, you can do it yourself, as long as you have the correct tools also.
There is a couple of You Tube clips that explains it and tare great to watch,
I have seen a couple of them a few times, and its not that hard.
What motor is in it ?
What area 's is it in ?
All in all, everybody have different little issues with the VE's,
but most are just general items that anyone can fix.
I have a 2012 Series 2, and owned it since 2013, bought it with 17,000 k/s on it and now it has 176,000 k's on it,
And had to do the usual service items, plus a few extras, that I am a bit fussy about, and still drives great.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
The Series 2 didn't have the same issues at Series 1, as I have read in some threads,
Being 98,000 k's on the clock, you will have plenty of k's to travel before doing the Timing Chains, pending the service history is legit,
But never the less, its not a hard job to do if its need,
if you can spin a spanner, you can do it yourself, as long as you have the correct tools also.
There is a couple of You Tube clips that explains it and tare great to watch,
I have seen a couple of them a few times, and its not that hard.
What motor is in it ?
What area 's is it in ?
All in all, everybody have different little issues with the VE's,
but most are just general items that anyone can fix.
I have a 2012 Series 2 and owned it since 2013, bought it with 17,000 k/s on it and now it has 176,000 k's on it,
And had to do the usual service items, plus a few extras, that I am a bit fussy about, and still drives great.
Thanks for the reply, Kruising. Much appreciated. The car seems legit and it has been owned by a fastidious person...with a bonnet, headlight and number plate protectors, genuine mats...the works. Older bloke who wants to buy an SUV as his "last car". The other car I've been looking at is an Aurion with 91,000 kays up but, jeeze, despite their engines being brilliant they are one butt-ugly car!

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks for the reply, Kruising. Much appreciated. The car seems legit and it has been owned by a fastidious person...with a bonnet, headlight and number plate protectors, genuine mats...the works. Older bloke who wants to buy an SUV as his "last car". The other car I've been looking at is an Aurion with 91,000 kays up but, jeeze, despite their engines being brilliant they are one butt-ugly car!

The Aurion's can be costly in the future with drive shafts [being front wheel drives], but go like a cut cat !,
I know the Aurion's, my father in law has one, and have driven it a few times and gets up and boogies, but not a fan of FWD's
But still a car of that size I would prefer as a rear wheel drive.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
The Aurion's can be costly in the future with drive shafts [being front wheel drives], but go like a cut cat !,
I know the Aurion's, my father in law has one, and have driver it a few times and gets up and boogies, but not a fan of FWD's
But still a car of that size I would prefer as a rear wheel drive.

Yep...Magnas would kill their drive shafts around the 300,000 kay mark but otherwise they were good. I owned a TJ from new for years. No problems save for having to change the timing belt as per schedule and a petrol cap cable broke. It handled really well but it always felt a little odd in the front wheels after having driven Holdens all my life beforehand. I test drove the Aurion and it had that same feel...plenty of grunt but funny steering feel. The Calais just looks better imho.