Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a tv for xbox 360, any suggestions?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Hey guys,

Been looking into buying a new tv which will mostly be used for movies and xbox 360.
I was looking at around 42 inch and my budget is $2000.
I'm also unsure if I should go a plasma or Lcd.

I'm leaning towards lcd but have been told that they can have very slow motion processing even with 200hz and can often make the picture look unrealistic.

please share your thoughts, especially if you have a good tv worth recommending

also here are two models that Im looking at:
- LG 42LH50YD
- Sony Bravia KDL-46Z5500

cheers James

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
well i would say lcd because plasma still have problem like if you say pause a game for to long the image will be burned onto the screen and if something goes wrong with a plasma tv ive heard that they cant be repaired

my friend has a 32" samsung full hd lcd tv and it looks stunning and i dont see any problems with it

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
I heard the burn in is not a problem anymore, some of the first plazma tv's certainly had that issue but not anymore.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
provided you run the tv for 100 hours before playing games on it burn in isn't a problem at all - we've got a panasonic viera plasma and it hasn't had a problem with games. Having said that i prefer to play on the LCD - it's a 100hz 40" samsung which plays games flawlessly - 1920x1080 resolution too!

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Yeh, that burning problem is long gone....

We have a 50 inch lg plasma down stairs, I have used xbox on it before, left it on the same screen for hours accidentally the other day and no problems.

So what are the other cons of buying a plasma? Someone was telling me they suck on sunny days with bad glare but that about all I know.

They seem to be cheaper which could be a +

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
They're soooo power hungry compared to LCD's - about 4 times more.
They get very hot.
They glow after you turn them off much like a fluoro light (very annoying in your room).

Ahh gotta start thinking about the environment!
And that glow would be awfully annoying as its probably going in my room.

thanks for that info

LCD it is then!!!!!

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
sharp 42 or 46" hdlcd.

Their rrp's are high but they are superior to most other screens, they and samsung are the better on the market.

If you bargain you can pickup the 42 for $1900 at the moment and recieve a FREE xbox 360 elite with 4 games.

Vj if your in adelaide, give a place called spartain electrical a call...... they are selling them for much more, tell them you have seen them at hte good guys for a better price then them and bargain your ass off.

Got my mate one off them for $1800.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
+1 on the Sharp.

Get the LED ones, they are bloody awesome!

I was looking them up, ends up that the new SONY's (I think) will be using the SHARP panels.

My gf's parents picked up a 42" for under 2 grand AND they come with a 2 year warranty factory!

Very good buy.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
sharp 42 or 46" hdlcd.

Their rrp's are high but they are superior to most other screens, they and samsung are the better on the market.

If you bargain you can pickup the 42 for $1900 at the moment and recieve a FREE xbox 360 elite with 4 games.

Vj if your in adelaide, give a place called spartain electrical a call...... they are selling them for much more, tell them you have seen them at hte good guys for a better price then them and bargain your ass off.

Got my mate one off them for $1800.

Hey mate do you have a model number for that samsung?

I knew they were the best but I thought they were much more epensive....

Nah, I'm in nsw but Im going to have a look around tomorow at several stores and try and bargain a good price.