Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying a tv for xbox 360, any suggestions?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
+1 on the Sharp.

Get the LED ones, they are bloody awesome!

I was looking them up, ends up that the new SONY's (I think) will be using the SHARP panels.

My gf's parents picked up a 42" for under 2 grand AND they come with a 2 year warranty factory!

Very good buy.

Yeh I was told sony and sharp are the best for lcd's,

isn't led just like lcd or better? much difference?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The difference between LED and LCD is just the light source.

LCD use a white blacklight panel like say your mobile or computer screen and a liquid cystal to generate colours.

LED just uses LED's as the backlight basically... still a liquid crystal that creates the colors.

There are more techical differences in the technology... but essentailly, you get a more constant light source from the backlight with the LED's, better life and lower energy consumpation.

The SHARP my gf's parents got has a 5 star energy rating, and deactivates individual LED's when they are not needed...

Cool stuff!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Make sure you get "full HD" (1080p) for the best results. I got a 58" Samsung plasma, they are a real bargain and give a good picture (plasmas generally have much better contrast ratios compared to LCD, though they do use quite a bit more power). Newer plasmas also don't have issues with screen burn. I got mine for $2500 about 6 months ago.
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/.../PS58A650T1FXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

I have spent some time watching a Samsung LED TV, and they look very good with a 1080p signal, but at lower resolutions the upscaling looked very blurry, and actually worse than my plasma. They have very low power consumption, but come at quite a price.

Of the two models you listed, I'd pick the Bravia over the LG any day of the week.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
+1 on what danja said about the 1080p!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!

And yeah... Sony over LG... my old man has a LG LCD and it's good... but the SHARP LED absolutely smashes it side by side in the store.

And if Song and SHARP are using the same panels... then sony should be awesome too. :)

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Burn in is no longer a problem anymore might be a chance if u left the tv on for a fews days with a static image. Personally i wouldn't touch a LG tv. For 2g mate u could get a nice 50inch Panasonic plasma with extended warranty. :-D

1080p i wouldn't worry about unless u are going to buy a bluray player or get a PS3 to watch bluray movies because there are no console games that run in it 1080p mostly 720p. Also how far are u going to be sitting from the TV? You wont notice 1080p unless u are close to it.

I had a Panasonic 32inch for over a year and not long ago i got a 50inch Pana plasma and the 32 looks tiny. Get the biggest u can afford for 2,000 u will get a very nice tv with extended warranty a extra 4 year warranty is about $400.

If u get a plasma u cannot lay it down when u are bringing it home because plasmas have glass screens are there is a big risk of cracking the glass. LCD have a plastic screen and can be laid down.

Glare can be an issue with plasmas but u can always pull the blinds down a bit if that is an issue. LCD's can have lag input issue for gaming which can be a problem. LCD's also blur with fast moving images which i have noted with my LCD. The 200hz is mostly marketing i have read of people having 200hz models and when using it for gaming the have to turn it off because it makes the problem worse.

Some people swear by the first 100 hour run in on plasmas and some people think its a load of porkies personally i never ran mine is i was playing games on it straight away and i have not had one issue. Plasmas produce better blacks then LCD's do so plasmas are great for movies

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
ok thanks for the advice guys, probably going to pick up the sony bravia tomorow.

The only thing was with the sony bravia the best deal I could get was $1950, free surge board and thats it.

But with the Lg he took it down to $1800, with free surge board, free 3 years warranty and free 22 inch lcd tv.

Makes things a hole lot more difficult when you put the deals into perspective but I guess If I'm going to be spending this kind of money on a tv I might as well pay a little more for that extra quality.

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
Glare can be an issue with plasmas but u can always pull the blinds down a bit if that is an issue. LCD's can have lag input issue for gaming which can be a problem. LCD's also blur with fast moving images which i have noted with my LCD. The 200hz is mostly marketing i have read of people having 200hz models and when using it for gaming the have to turn it off because it makes the problem worse.

A big Issue with the location of my tv is that my room doesn't have blinds, I have very large windows. That Is one of the main contributing factors in my choice of an lcd over plasma and I absolutely hate glare. Yeh their is so much hype over the 200hz factor when it comes to lcd's but when I'm looking at plasma's most of their speeds are 600hz. Hopefully it won't be to slow otherwise that would annoy me aswell haha.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Also don't go getting sucked into buying any "Monster" HDMI cables ;-)

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
A big Issue with the location of my tv is that my room doesn't have blinds, I have very large windows. That Is one of the main contributing factors in my choice of an lcd over plasma and I absolutely hate glare. Yeh their is so much hype over the 200hz factor when it comes to lcd's but when I'm looking at plasma's most of their speeds are 600hz. Hopefully it won't be to slow otherwise that would annoy me aswell haha.

No blinds :-O that sucks how do u ever get to have a sleep in? Will the TV be copping direct sunlight onto the screen?

VjamesY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive
No blinds :-O that sucks how do u ever get to have a sleep in? Will the TV be copping direct sunlight onto the screen?

Yeh that's the thing, a sleep in for me is around 9:00 (if I'm lucky), Im up at 5:30 every week day anyways for work. I will probably cover the tv with a sheet during the day, its mostly just going to be used in the arvo. I don't think it will be getting direct sunlight, but I know ill have some problem with light.